thebuzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Trades = Can of worms!
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
not entirely true.I play on another site that does trades all the time and if the commish and his board feel the trade is not fair they cancel it.but was just a thought to help some players who's minor league system is stocked up but years away from the bigs and to help other players looking to grab a few prospects and trade away a contract instead of just releasing him.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
A community driven player acquisition system we do have is the Broken Bat Scouting Network which posts (mostly minor league level) free agents with the aim of helping people fill out their minors. Free agency is frozen for the remainder of the season, but once it reopens, the database will be updated.
thebuzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Judgement calls, a few people decide whats good or bad = Can of worms!
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
but was just a thought to help some players who's minor league system is stocked up but years away from the bigs and to help other players looking to grab a few prospects and trade away a contract instead of just releasing him.

I played an on-line hockey game for a while that allowed trades. Shortly after getting my team I made a noobie-type post in the forum. Iirc within 36 hours of that post I had received 6 messages offering trades.

My own feeling is along with being easy to abuse and difficult to police, trades may also be a mechanism for unscrupulous experienced players to take advantage of new players.
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The only way I'd like to see user to user trades introduced is if there was a steep cost to initial a trade from both sides like maybe 10 million a team to open up trade negotiations.

Even then I agree this could negatively affect lesser experience players and drive them away from the game.

I know it might be difficult to institute but maybe only bot teams can offer random trades? This could increase user base traffic by having them check daily for trade offers.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't see any realistic way for trades to work in this game and not upset the balance and I think that's okay. I don't really think this game needs trades. It still tests my general managership and my managership in a way no other game probably could. Yes I want to win now but I am still competitive and that is due to the decisions and moves I have made including players I have kept. It takes patience to build a winner and everyone starts on similar footing. Certainly we all face the same obstacles. It's fair as it is now.

Also there is quite a bit of turnover in owners. That's because this not a simple game. However it is a great game (thanks Steve). I would be concerned about guys coming in that don't have the patience to do what it takes to build a winner, or even stay around long if they do, seeking instant gratification and blowing up a team that has actual possibilities with some dedication.

I say this game is fine without trades for these and other reasons. The "I want it now" players won't last long even with trades and this game is designed for a different consumer than that anyway.

No trades!!!

Updated Thursday, September 25 2014 @ 10:47:55 am PDT
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Agree with Tiger504 and everyone else who thinks the system would be too open to abuse.

The one system I'm wondering about (not advocating) would be a sealed bid auction on Waivers, where you'd get one chance to offer a price for a waived player unseen by any other owner. At the end of the waiver period they'd then go to the highest bidder for their signing fee. If no one bids they enter free agency. Just wondering if this would make players more selective about waiver claims, as you'd have to consider signing-fees plus salary if your bid is highest. The criticism might be that rich clubs can throw money at the problem, but then there's only so many times you can overvalue players to secure their services before you cease to be a rich club. This might re-engage teams financially who have more cash than they know what to do with, which I've heard is a problem at the top.
evan007

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How would this open up cheating?
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Collusion by owners is one. Multiple accounts by a single owner is another. I imagine there are many more.

Previous Page | Show All |