Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Modify Ballpark Size at All-Star Break   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Around half of all teams play in a new division each season (50% of teams V & up promote or relegate). Being in a new division, along with attempting to estimate the strength of your opponents, can make the initial decision of ballpark size a bit of a gamble.

Even if you make a good estimation, decisions of other managers can alter your course. A strong older team might go full rebuild. A weaker team might go on a free-agent signing frenzy.

I'm suggesting allowing the size of the park to be modified in a window around the all-star break.

I don't see any realism issues. In RL modifying ballpark size usually doesn't mean bulldozers and construction crews. Most stadiums (I believe) have sections cordonned off. Increasing size is a matter of reopenning sections. Decreasing size just means closing additional sections of seating.
the gizmo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think it would be ok only if the capacity is to be lowered. No other changes or increase in seating capacity allowed
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't really understand that. :)

The intent is to allow a manager to mollify an errant estimate. I don't see what difference it makes if it was overestimating or underestimating.

If you only allow down-sizing, its an incentive for everyone to over-build.

I could see allowing a maximum of a certain % of your seating. Realism would go out the window if people were turning 10k stadiums into 50k stadiums.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Are you talking about changing dimensions or capacity?

Steve
the gizmo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Building a stadium properly is part of the game experience, just as developing your players. Some choices are good while others aren't

My original thought was to possibly aide those teams that did over build their capacity. I can see where the exploit would possibly happen where owners would overbuild and then cut back. Doesn't take much number crunching to figure out break even point for each seat during season but team has to make a profit to grow.

I am totally against any mid season stadium change except for possibly capacity change, such as closing off/ opening up sections during AllStar break only. Would give an owner one chance to make an adjustment they feel is necessary but should come at a price also. Let's say if they reduce capacity, there still should be a cost associated with those seats, say $10.00 for each update and for expanding seats, $30.00 for each instead of the usual $20.00.

Or we can just it as is, since it is working as intended!
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't know. Do we really need that? Planning your seats is part of the game, and a season isn't that long.
As I like realism. I wouldn't see in-season seating reductions (e.g. in the sense of closing sections) as too bad if they come at a price.
But again, do we need that? My (on paper too many) 57000 seats cost 11.4 million a year. That's about 15% of my total expenses. In league V, they were mostly sold out. In league IV, they were half empty, which I couldn't expect, because I didn't know about the attendance fix in level IV. In league III, it's been sold out several times, so far. Cutting my stadium down to the recommended 45000 at mid-season would save me a total of 1.2 million minus whatever the extra cost would be. That's the revenue of about two games...
An additional seat costs $200 a year. The revenue per visitor is $15, so for your last seat to be profitable, you have to sell it only 14 times out of your 80 league home games (plus the cup home games, where the $15 are split and you can't influence your share from road games). Our seats are cheap, and describing them only by variable cost is extremely flexible. I would prefer to have an additional investment for ballpark buildup (ideally also for rebuilding field sizes etc).

Previous Page | Show All |