Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Minor League/Farm System Rating   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
...Saying that, could be interesting to go by spring training results. Trouble with that is it's a snapshot of how teams perform at the start of the season, so not often updated.

I doubt it would matter that teams play across divisions as I don't think there's any coaching variance, but there's nothing to stop you fielding major leaguers; so that won't necessarily be a true indication of minor league prowess either.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I think it's ease of implementation and practicality would come down to what metrics Steve has available to him. Not knowing that, it could either be a huge task not worth the effort or a relatively simple one based on something like potential + last three training results = A, B, C- etc. As a player who's spent 90% of his time in Broken Bat fine tuning his minor leagues, it's something that crosses my mind rather frequently :)
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I know where you're coming from - really looking forward to the first prospects I picked rather than inherited becoming ready for the majors.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Same here. Seeing these guys develop is the most rewarding part of the game for me. I think It's something Broken Bat does particularly well compared to other sports sim games.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
It would be easy to implement something, but the problem is coming up with good metrics to weight players across different levels and positions.

Is a AA Catcher with SI of 70 better or worse than a Rookie Ball Pitcher with SI of 37?

Steve
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd weight it more to potential and less to current SI. SI might be an element, but finding a couple other metrics that actually would measure the value of one prospect versus another would be the tricky part. Like Jalapeno5 suggested, Spring Training performance seems like it would be a a good snapshot of where prospects are, but as he mentions, it has it's flaws too. Where this might provide some wiggle room is that with prospects you never actually know how good they are until they get to the majors and perform, so 100% accuracy wouldn't be a necessary or even a desirable thing really. A rare case where a very rough estimate would be better than an accurate one.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Since the potential rating doesn't appear on the "Minors" page, the simplest solution would be just to average the potential of all the players in your minors. The letter grade could be based on that potential number. An average of 16 could be an A, 15 a B and so on down the chart with fractions being given minus grades. A 15.5 would be an A-.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thought #1: So no "+" grades? If 16 is "A" and 15.5 is "A-" then 15 should be "B+" not "B".

Thought #2: Are we sure the blocks should be the end all for grading? My closer with 11 blocks of potential and a 91 SI is far more reliable than several 13 block guys I've gotten.

Thought #3: Spring training is a terrible metric. Some people play minor leaguers, others still play all their starters for the regular season. The sample size is too small for accurate appraisal. The current progress of an 18 yo rookie ball player is irrelevant, while the progress of a 24 yo AAA player is skewed in one direction or another by who he is facing.

Updated Tuesday, September 2 2014 @ 5:47:13 pm PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah...I think spring training results are a pretty poor metric. What if team A is pitching mostly A and AA prospects while team B pitches their AAA and big league youngsters. Team B is going to look great, but it may not be a good measure of the farm system.

Steve
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
newtman, the pluses would be for the averages falling below .5, so a 15.4 would be a B+.

I tend to go by the potential squares when choosing between prospects, so that's the metric I would choose. Steve would know which ones are and aren't accurate. He would decide the final formula used to calculate the rating and I think the game would be better if the players didn't know the exact formula used. One way we could go is to factor in the potential mentioned in the scouting report when calculating the rating. An "Above Average Potential" would be a -1, a "Good Overall Potential" would be a Zero, and "Very Good Overall Potential" would be a 1. A player with 14 blocks of potential and a scouting report saying "Very Good Overall Potential" would end up valued as a 15. One that has 11 blocks of potential and a scouting report reading "Above Average Potential" would be valued as a 10. Once all the players potential is calculated n that manner, those numbers would then be averaged and the appropriate letter grade assigned. That way there would be at least two metrics used in the calculation.

Previous Page | Show All |