Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Weather   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow, regional weather forecasts are a nice wrinkle. Well done.
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I like this. I had thought about this as well, but never got to suggest it.

This is exactly what I had in mind, but I was thinking of adding a couple more things I’m going to suggest now.

First, at any given time, we’re not going to care about the forecast in every region. Only the forecast for the region we’re going to play has interest.

For that reason, I think it would be more useful to have the forecast in the schedule page as well, for the next matches. It could be a just a word next to the attendance saying the forecast for the region where that match is going to be played.

Second, now that we have forecasts, I think it would be fun to give clubs with Domes the option to open the roof, in case they like the weather outside better.

Finally, I have a question, how realistic is weather going to be from now on? For example, are teams in the southern regions going to have more hot days than teams in the northern regions? Are there going to be more hot days in the summer, and more cold days in early spring and fall?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Hmmm...opening & closing the dome could be interesting. Might take some work. How many MLB parks have retractable domes now?

There is no regional accuracy of weather – Hawaii is just a likely as Alaska to have hot or cold weather. I don’t know – you think it would be better to have weather adhere to regions? I think that would be cool…but I decided against implementing it initially because there is currently a small attendance modifier for some weather types. But maybe that should be removed and we just have accurate weather?

Just a note…as cool as weather is….it’s still has a relatively small influence on the game.

Steve
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I see the weather as largely cosmetic, but beautiful nonetheless. If you can keep it from biasing attendance by region (temperature could have no impact on attendance, and different types of adverse weather could have similar probabilities in the regions) I'd like realistic weather.
If a dome has a tactical advantage, it should have some kind of disadvantage, too
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, once you add weather forecasts to the game, you're taking away the only advantage teams with domes had, as every other ballpark type will now let you know in advance, albeit with a little bit of uncertainty, what weather you are going to get, which was something only available to domes until now.

So, since the dome has lost its advantage, being able to open the roof would balance things all over again.

== // ==

Regarding accurate weather, I'm glad we don't have that.

Yes, it would add more "colour" to the game, but I'm thinking about a team who suddenly finds itself in a region where the most common weather there is adverse to their current roster.

Changing the roster is not easy and takes time, and even that may not be an option if the manager doesn't enjoy playing with players more suitable for that weather.

They could change to a dome, but that may not please the manager as well, so they probably could be forced to move to another city, and that might be something people may dread.

This then could lead to perceived "better regions" and races to cities in those regions, and I don't see anything good and enjoyable coming from that.

So, I say let the weather in Hawaii stay the same as in Alaska.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
If their isn't an attendance modifier for weather, then why would there be favored regions?

I think weather is mostly to add a bit of depth or realism to the games....but I'm not sure you can really capitalize on certain weather conditions (the modifiers just aren't that huge an they effect both teams equally).

Steve
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Each type of weather favours some players more than others.

For example, HOT weather tends to decrease pitcher's stamina.

If one team suddenly find themselves in a region where there is constant HOT weather and they don't have a lot of stamina in the bullpen and they don't want the increased outfield errors that come with domes, it's probably best to move to a cooler region, even if you like the city where the team is stationed.

The favoured regions would depend on what skills are more abundant in free agency at some point and what everyone is searching for.

All it would take is for someone to say on the forums "Oh my god, my team started winning when I moved to Iowa", and immediately after that there will be hordes of clubs moving to cities in Iowa.

It may not make sense for most, but that's just the way it works. Most people can't or don't want to think for themselves and rather follow the trends of the moment, so it's a good thing there is no accurate weather.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
If a team is playing a doubleheader in a cup series, will the weather be the same for both games of the doubleheader?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes.

Steve
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I suggest merging the weather effects descriptions from the Game Manual and duplicate/place them right directly on the Weather page. That way owners don't have to hunt. Here are all of the descriptions:

Weather can most certainly affect ball games, however in a domed ballpark, it has no effect.

The following weather types can affect the game:

Hot: tends to decrease pitcher's stamina.
Sunny: no affect on game play. Slightly increased attendance.
Partly Cloudy: no affect.
Cloudy: tends to slightly increase pitcher's stamina.
Windy: tends to increase outfield error rates and may increase or decrease home runs.
Rainy: tends to increase error rates. Slightly decreased attendance.
Cold: tends to depress batting averages increase pitcher's stamina. Slightly decreased attendance.

Previous Page | Show All |