Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Number retirement   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Nice idea. Could have the names displayed in a "Ring of Honor" on the ballpark page too.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Some kind of Team HOF/Monument Park/Ring of Honor sounds like a good idea. That could of course list the numbers, but I don't think we need an extra mechanism for retiring numbers. If you take the time to honor a retired player, you can also take the time to make sure no other player has his number.
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I know the idea of a HOF is something that's been raised previously, but wondered if one of the barriers might be the effort involved with defining and creating the metrics and processing capacity calculating streaks for each player; whereas the suggested approach empowers owners to create their own based on their own parameters and elected players, so would presumably require less development.

I appreciate it's possible to discipline oneself to not reallocate a number, but I just thought it might be nice to have a publicly visible catalogue of a team's most revered players which would be desplayed in a consistent format for each team, rather than just a note-to-self 'not to use jersey #55'... plus retiring a number in the process would limit the number of players owners could induct to their own HOF to encourage owners to be a bit more selective.

Speaking for myself I've just released a player in the top 20 for 7/9 of my league's all-time batting categories, and who I might consider for such an accolade; but he's listed as a Juneau player in those rankings despite only having played 3 games for them at the start of his career. I get that he needs a team allocated to him for the purposes of that list, and not disputing the way that's presented, but it would be nice to have a way to reflect his successes with the team (even more so if I'd picked him myself).
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
HOF is on the 'to do' list. It's just not near the top, so other things keep sucking my time before I get to work on it.

Steve
bigmanchris

Gastonia Cowboys
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
What happened to team leaders Steve
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Nothing happened, as far as I can see. They are still hidden at the bottom of the stats page, the little crown on the left, and work fine for me.
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I had never noticed that page before. And it makes me sad. Before I took over this team it was terrible. Guys with 250 Ave in my top 20 and guys in high 4 ERAs. Or a guy the made it into the pros as my #20 all time home run leader at 36. This team was sad...
bigmanchris

Gastonia Cowboys
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Never noticed that either thanks Holmes
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
dwindacatcher, keep in mind that bb has only been around for 19 seasons, so we don't have that many full careers on record. You can't compare that to the history of the Red Sox.
My #20 in career AVE is a defense first catcher with an average of .236, and my team has spent most of its history in the middle levels, with a stint in league II. Your top career AVEs are much better than mine (.290).
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Even though this franchise had some success before I took over, I feel your pain dwindacatcher. The previous owner cut this Short Stop just before he relinquished the team. That guy would have been the centerpiece of my team in a couple seasons. I haven't had a draft pick that good, let alone one at SS, since I started playing.

Previous Page | Show All |