Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Injury realism   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi Steve,

Hope you don't mind, but I had a couple of suggestions as to how to eventually develop the injury engine, and wondered what you and everyone else might think:

1) Named injuries would be cool - Could we have a table of common injuries such as 'Elbow Soreness', 'Dislocated Finger' with realistic max and min durations on the DL that would permanently stay on a player's page?

2) Long term injuries - If some of these injuries were to be recurring it might add a new dimension to deciding whether to keep a player on your roster, or indeed whether to pick them up from waivers knowing they may miss 20% of a season for instance due to a niggling injury flairing up.

3) Impact on stats - Arm and shoulder injuries could negatively impact Arm and Power stats, leg injuries could affect speed and range for example.

4) In-game injuries could be interesting - I may be wrong here, but at the moment if feels like a player on the bench has as much chance of being injured as a guy that plays every day. So for example if a player were more likely to go day-to-day or land on the DL after being hit by a pitch, it might give owners cause to rest players before key games.

Just thought this might help to add some further colour to a player's career, as at the moment injuries feel a little sporadic and disjointed.

Appreciate this might be a bit of work, and at least some of it will be shouted down due to factors I haven't considered, but thought I'd put it out there.

Cheers!

Updated Monday, July 28 2014 @ 8:59:19 am PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I like the idea of adding common injuries descriptions. I’ll try to get that incorporate into the game sooner rather than later.

In terms of longer term injuries and their impact on players decline – I agree that it might be more realistic. The problem is that overall it’s a very unpopular idea in games like these and people tend to get very frustrated with the game when their star players suddenly break a leg or blow their arm out.

In games injuries are possible…it just requires a level of code sophistication that isn’t present in the current game engine.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Steve
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Cheers Steve - looking forward to the descriptions.

Point taken in regards to longer term injuries too; thanks for the response!
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I understand that a pitcher going down for a season and a half to have TJS would be frustrating, as it is in real life (hello from a Yanks fan to all Rangers fans out there...), but in principle I'd be all for at least a little more realism on that front. After all, everyone would be affected at some point. Of course, if the injuries are too long, they would probably just lead to the player being fired. And maybe we could compensate for the lost playing time by making father time a little less predictable and letting a share of players age gracefully into their later thirties.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Sorry, double post because the server was hanging...

Updated Tuesday, July 29 2014 @ 7:32:14 am PDT
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I would second an adjustment to aging. Father time is harsh, but he's particularly cruel and unsparing to our Broken Batters :)
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This injury realism is not fun. I agree with Steve, the game is better off without it.
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think what prompted my initial thought process along these lines was the fact that it does seem pretty savage having reached the end of my first season that suddenly half my team have aged and had their stats reduced across the board in a single hit, and are looking like they need replacing.

I wondered if injuries might provide a more organic approach to player deterioration over time and mean that you could have the anomalies like Moyer and Franco who avoid injury and go on and on; but similarly there would be a number of players forced closer to retirement at a younger age; but can see why this might not be a popular option. I understand it's necessary to be a bit regimented and adhere to rules in machine code, but at the moment it feels a bit like all players are set to be nerfed between 31 and 35 without exception. Maybe this could be remedied/reflected by slowing the pace of decline a little or affecting fewer stats to a greater extent?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Understand…I think part of the problem here is that you inherited a team with a lot of older players. I have changed the bot roster management algorithm to reduce the dependence on older player, but that hasn’t completely filtered through most teams yet.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |