Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> make historic stadia dimensions available   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
joelwest

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I realize game finances are not yet implemented and hence money is not yet "free" to be spent on an altered stadium

a fair system would be to give every stadium owner the chance to modify their stadium (in any of the methods suggested in the previous post) only during the off season. all these new stadia could be checked to make sure they are all kosher. then each owner could test their custom stadium out for an entire game season to see how they actually perform
joelwest

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
the most complicated system is to locate the stadium at an actual physical town so that the elevation is known (higher elevation means more home runs)

the problem is that change to a demographic model also means every team owner wants to be in New York for the extra income (even though the stadium is not elevated much above ground level)

so until game finances are worked out, including demographics of what city a team is actually in, it is probably best to ignore elevation for a stadium

if not, then only allow an elevation range based upon historic MLB stadia and choose not to correlate this elevation with the nominal city the ball club is located in. ie, if someone wants to pretend New York is a the elevation of Coors Field they could, but they would gain no more revenue from being in New York since demographics in this case are fictitious
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Actually, two of the things I’d like to fold into the game (hopefully before next season), are injures and ballpark adjustments. In terms of ballpark adjustments, I’m pretty happy with the current elements, except that maybe wall height will be added. Also, seating capacity would be adjustable, but would require teams pay some sort of maintenance fee every week.

I realize that elevation has a large effect on game at Coors Field, but I think that’s one ballpark out of many. I not sure how important that is or realistic it would be to allow people to adjust park elevations.

In terms of historic ballpark data, I think it’s pretty easy to find that on the web. I’m a little hesitant to grab potentially trademarked content and include it into the game.

Steve
joelwest

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
the dimensions of historic ballparks are a matter of public record. I have seen other bb sim games use the stadium name as well
joelwest

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I’m pretty happy with the current elements, except that maybe wall height will be added
more wall height can be equated to more outfield distance

the question is whether the only way to adjust a stadium's dimensions is to take over another team that what the manager considers to be a better stadium? or identify a stadium of another team and say you want the same dimensions for your ballpark?
joelwest

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Two of the things I’d like to fold into the game (hopefully before next season), are injures and ballpark adjustments.

I am not a big fan of injuries in bb sims since they add nothing to the strategy other than forcing a bench batter to temporarily become a starter

once injuries are introduced, doctors are not far behind, and a budget to spent each season on preventive medicine to avoid injuries

perhaps you could create injury-free leagues???
joelwest

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I realize that elevation has a large effect on game at Coors Field, but I think that’s one ballpark out of many.

I just used that as an example. there is a noticeable difference in HR rates in Pittsburgh v coastal cities even though Pittsburgh's elevation is not nearly as high as Denver's elevation
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
i'm with joel on not being a fan of injuries.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, I know people aren’t big fans of injures, especially long-term injures. However, I also think they are part of the game and right now, there is little incentive to have much depth on a team. Bench players are grossly under-utilized compared to real baseball.

Shortly, I’ll be opening a discussion thread and solicit input concerning an appropriate implementation. And then I’ll try to implement and test it internally during the back half of this season and go live with it at the start of next season.

Steve
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Bench players are grossly under-utilized compared to real baseball.

how about some type of non-pitcher fatigue instead? would that meet your goals? or not really?

Previous Page | Show All |