Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> sign one player per day (but only release players   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
joelwest

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
an alternative (but less desirable) way to free up players who have been waiting MONTHS to sign a contract -

after seven days a player is put into a special "bargain" pool not subject to the one player per week rule. at least one of these bargain players should be signable per day. since no one wants them (apparently) I see no reason why someone could not sign as many of these bargain players per day as he wants to

to anticipate the objection that somehow seven days is "too fast", make the waiting period 30 days. still over 95% of free agents would qualify as bargain players
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I see your point about the long-term free agents. I'm hoping to get the economy working better and ditch this current mechanism. I realize that there is a lot of dissatisfaction about the current restrictions.

Steve
joelwest

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
in addition since posting this I found out that free agents get no training and hence day they stay unsigned become progressively less desirable to sign

another consideration is that an online game needs to give a game player something to do each day. if they only way a manager can improve their worthless team is to wait 20 weeks to try and find 20 decent players that are free agents, how many new players are willing to wait five months to field a decent team???

in the mean time (before the five months is up) a game player can shuffle batting and pitching lineups, but that is like fiddling while Rome burns. if the players are no good, shuffling them around is not going to help. the team will still lose most of its games
joelwest

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
lest anyone accuse me of being negative, this game is unique among bb sim games and so I am interested in playing it. however as it stands now this will not really happen until November (five months from now) when I have finally ditched all my worthless players

unless the free agent system changes between now and November there is little reason for me to log in on any day other than Friday (to get a replacement player)
Paul_G

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There must be a huge jump in talent level between tiers 5 and 6 if your team is that bad there. Your pitching staff looks stacked to me.

One change that could be implemented is that new players can only take over empty tier 6 teams, to stop that kind of frustration when you take over a team that is out of its depth. It sounds like there would be enough empty teams on tier 6 that this wouldn't be a problem.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Originally, I allowed new owners to pick any team they’d like…in part because I figured people would pick the upper division teams and we’d get a lot of leagues with humans playing humans and the bots would fill out the lower leagues. Now there are a lot more human owned teams…so maybe it’s time to revisit that aspect of registration.

Really, an owner can switch to any available team with a request to the admin at any time (even after registration), so I’m not sure how big an issue this would be. Maybe people don’t know that?

Steve
Minnie Miñoso

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's the problem Steve. You yourself made the point that in this game what I do as the manager does not affect player development that much. So this game is about drafting players you think have good potential and then deciding after a while whether to keep them or move on. I love that. I enjoy trying to build a team. Since there is no trading between teams, that only leaves the free agents and the signings from the various levels. But you are limited to one per week! The main object of the game can only be performed once a week! I know I can ask for a better team, but isn't that like buying a level 30 whatever on e-bay to play it in Warcraft? I want to build my team, but I'd like to see it be competitive before I die of old age.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I’m hoping we can get to a real economy sooner rather than later. Then we can loosen the rules on free agents.

Steve
clodhopper

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi Steve,

I have to throw in my two cents. I love the game, and building up a team is a lot of fun. While a working economy would be great, I think one player a week is a bit of a drag.

Here is a possible workaround: assign a salary cap to each team. You can sign free agents or draft rookies as long as you are under your cap. This way it keeps things equal but still allows owners to build their teams how they choose.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks...I'm hoping to kick of the economy pretty soon, so hopefully we'll have a effective "salary cap" based on income streams.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |