Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Catcher Fatigue/Injuries   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve,

I have a few opinions on these issues.

-I think that the injury rate should increase a bit for older players.

-I think that some players should be injury prone ,who have difficulty staying healthy for more than 140 games/year, and that some players should be workhorses who rarely miss more than a couple of games in a season.

-I agree that we should come up with a way to resolve the "catcher games played issue". It seems that basically no players catch more than 135 games in a season and most play 110-120. Maybe we could have some sort of endurance meter for catchers that can be increased by days off or days playing another positon.

Curtis P
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Selfish and unfair??? I've been doing great with the current system, better than anyone else in my division. It's just not realistic, so I'm suggesting something better (slightly better, but still within the scope of the current game structure).
And apart from being useless right now, resting a catcher regularly would require logging in between single game simulation runs, which I don't think most of us can do. Introducing catcher fatigue would require setting up a catching rotation in analogy to the pitching rotation, which would be a major change, make the game more complicated and require significant development work for a rather small improvement. Just increasing the one-day injuries for catchers would be a minor tweak for Steve, and it would go a long way in making the role of backup catchers more realistic.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@curtisp: I think in some other thread Steve already gave a hint that some players might be more injury-prone than others, and that injuries do increase with age.
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Holmes and Steve,

Yeah, I do remember seeing that written somewhere. However I have been playing this game for quite a while and I have never seen a player who really gets cronically injured. Maybe there are players who are more prone to injury than others but I don't feel like it is noticable.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Many of these issues are already implemented in Broken Bat. Catchers have more effect than just their arm throwing out base runners – there are a number of other effects (including stuff like wild pitches and passed balls). Also, the issue of individual injury frequency has been discussed at length.

Part of the problem with replicating how managers periodically give players time off, is that in real life the manager fills out a lineup each day and has plenty of time to consider his options. In Broken Bat, I doubt most of us are logging in and making lineup adjustments each game. And I certainly don’t want to require that.

Steve
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Without researching it, I'd say 10 games in a row should be an automatic injury for a catcher (playing at the catcher position, more if they DH occasionally)

As simple way to allow people to alternate catchers w/o going straight-up platoon ...

I'd love to see a "personal catcher" drop-down on the pitcher section of the management screen:

Blank = Go with the C specified by the lineup based on the handedness of the opposing team's pitcher.
Populated = Insert the player in the drop-down at C (and whichever spot of the lineup the C would otherwise be)

FYI. I may be biased, both my catchers stink at the plate ... but I'd love to stick the one with good fielding/weaker armed one to my one low control starter.

Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The way I see it, this can only be done right by introducing a fatigue bar in the lineup, for hitters.

It doesn't have to be as sophisticated as the pitchers one. I think a red/yellow/green dot for each hitter would do the trick. Green would mean regular chance of that player getting injured. Yellow would mean an increased chance of getting injured and red a very high risk of injury.

Obviously, for catchers that light would go from green to red much faster. For other positions, like DH it could stay green all the time.

This way us managers could have an idea when to rest players without having to keep track of how many consecutive games the catcher has played. That would be annoying, especially since there are no stats in the game that give that information quickly.
Den Duston

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Part of the problem with replicating how managers periodically give players time off, is that in real life the manager fills out a lineup each day and has plenty of time to consider his options. In Broken Bat, I doubt most of us are logging in and making lineup adjustments each game.

This.
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Backup players could be used to not only replace injured players but also to replace tired ones.
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Many of these issues are already implemented in Broken Bat. Catchers have more effect than just their arm throwing out base runners – there are a number of other effects (including stuff like wild pitches and passed balls). Also, the issue of individual injury frequency has been discussed at length.

If that is the case do we simply need to adjust the wording in the manual which currently states "For this the catcher should have a good arm. Range and fielding aren't particularly important." to something like "For this the catcher should have a good arm and a little fielding to catch pop-ups and prevent passed balls. Range isn't particularly important."

Previous Page | Show All |