Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Defensive depth charts   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
ReekyLeek

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I know this has been talked about on a few occasions and I have been part of these suggestions but just wanted to see if any thought was being put into creating a defensive depth chart for the positions? As of right now even if I put a certain player as backup in the lineup very rarely will the manager actually choose that player to sub in
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
The backup will only sub if the starter is hurt. Normally, the starter will get the call every game.

You want something whereby the starter and backup split time?

Steve
ReekyLeek

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have some players who are replaced by pinch runners late in games. But the runners tend to remain in the game and become defensive liabilities. They help on the bases but not when they come in to play out of position
Tv4IE

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ya ReekyLeek, I saw something similar in my games as well. However sometimes when its the pitch runners turn to bat he end up getting replaced by someone who would have been suitable for the said defensive position...ugh
ReekyLeek

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Just a little annoyance, hoping it'll get fixed. Want to avoid unnecessary errors from my fielders as my bench is filled with youngsters who have just made it to the majors. And not all are suited for every position
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I agree that sometimes the game engine makes short-sided substitution decision.

I guess the real question is how to design a simple interface and set of controls to handle player substitution. Right now we have the defensive depth chart and the no-pinch hit/run options.

But I know people are unhappy with scenarios whereby their 3rd place hitter is injured and replaced by a light weight hitter. Or a pitch hitter/replacement is brought in for his platoon advantage, but is lacking defensively.

Steve
solace36

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I know you have talked about making managers a larger part of the overall game design and here is where the managers roll is essential. Not a code generating person, but I would assume code could be designed where when one number (AVG), replaces another number (AVG), the replacing number would need to be of higher value (AVG). Seems this would result in a better (AVG) hitter replacement.

Wholesale defensive substitutions such as the game preforms, just don't happen in MLB. Yes there are certain cases on every team where a player believes he could be a star if only he was playing a different position than currently assigned. Most managers will patronize the player by saying maybe, then in private chuckle about it with the other coaches. In the game you have a option to replace a player with a selected player. Somehow there should be a way where that player is the player to be selected when making a substitution. I think right now it is only utilized for a game day injury.

Previous Page | Show All |