Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Free Agents Salary Demands   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
From my experience the financial aspect of the game simply isn't a challenge. When I picked yp Applewood Crossing their stadium was over-sized for the division they were in. I reduced that, got rid of some overage veterans, found some cheaper talent and went forward from there.

If Finance is part of the game it should be challenging to put together a winning team with the financial constraints or trading limits we have placed on us.

Making it hard for teams to retain their top talent through increased wage demands and a salary cap (or some other contractual constraints) will free up more talent for upcoming teams and increase competition

I don't mind if brokenbat is all about roster and game management but the financial aspect seems next to pointless at the moment once the fundamentals of it have been grasped. I think the general manager aspect of brokenbat could be enhanced.
Den Duston

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
for me it's already challenging.....damn my finances are decreasing every week! :,-(

(Total Revenues 10,783,205 and Total Expenses 11,856,170)
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The game is challenging enough as it is, but we don’t usually hear from those struggling with their teams.

The financial challenge here is to have a roster adequate to your finances, and once you do that, you can focus on the fun side of the game, baseball.

Besides, it has been proven here, in the past, when hoarding free agents was possible, that if you have the best players you are going to win, regardless of management settings and lineups. None of it mattered.

If the game is changed to make finances more relevant we would be going back to that same point. It would turn broken bat into a financial game rather than a baseball game.

With the current waiver and finance systems, the game is fair, balanced, challenging and fundamentally about baseball, as it should be.

If anything the game needs a few more baseball management options and baseball stats splits.
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Anyway my initial point was simply this: there are many players who are unsignable because they demand way more they actually value, even if they are "good" players for low-level-league teams.

This category of players is... useless? For themselves, for the teams, for the game.

My proposal was to find a way to make these players (more) useful by gradually reduce their demands. It actually has to do not so much with "Broken Bat Finance Issue".
gadzooks

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with the above statement, players that are unclaimed on the free agent wire should gradually lower their salary demands as they would in real life to make their acquisition more attractive and get themselves back out there on the field! Making the overall roster management/financial/general manager aspects challenging/realistic is a separate issue.
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Salaries shouldn’t be reduced for the same reason they shouldn’t be inflated. That would change the balance of the game.

Reducing salaries would make finances matter less, and increasing them would make finances matter more.

Since administration is already monitoring global finances and adjusting economic parameters accordingly, I don’t see a reason to change salaries in free agency.

It doesn’t matter if players in free agency are worth their salaries or not, or if they should be playing in the field or not. What matters is if teams are interested in them and if they want to suffer the consequences, or reap the rewards, of hiring such players.

It’s probably not a good idea for low budget teams to sign these players, but big budget teams can afford them, so they have that luxury and they have that advantage.

On the other hand poor teams get the same chances to sign any player, while big budget teams probably would prefer to use their money muscle to take those chances away from low budget teams.

So, all in all, it’s balanced as it is. We even have in this same thread both proposals to raise salaries and to lower them. This goes to show how balanced the game is right now.

Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve, I think your suggestion absolutely goes in the right direction. If there are 100 managers after the same player, then obviously, you don't have to sacrifice enough (money, other players, whatever) to get him. So raising the price of players everyone wants and decreasing the price of unclaimed players is realistic, it is reasonable, it is fair, and it is a step towards a more balanced player market.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Regarding finances, I stopped worrying about money after my first season, when I understood how the money part of the game works - or rather doesn't. I never look at player salaries. Never. I don't see any reasonable way to spend so much money that I'd make less than 20 million in profit per season.

Updated Thursday, June 5 2014 @ 12:48:00 pm PDT
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Raising and lowering salaries in free agency according to supply and demand is a reverse bidding system. It's throwing away a very interesting and unique baseball simulation game and putting a common merchants game in his place.
MrTwoPlums

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd add that salaries at the higher levels could be higher. I know that it's mostly performance based, and that's fine, but in Legends offence is generally much lower due to better pitching and defence, so the good hitters aren't putting up the numbers they would in the lower leagues.
Case in point- I just claimed Alvin Bell who was making $4.40M in division VI and it increased to $5.45M for Legends. He's making more than any other two of my hitters combined, and five were Legends all-stars last year. My pitcher's are paid somewhat appropriately I think, except maybe Sam Kelly. I remember seeing some $10M players some seasons ago, and if anyone qualifies for that much I'd say Kelly fits the bill.

Previous Page | Show All |