Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Drafted Player or Try Out Roster Spot   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
What would the team be doing with the player during the "try out"? Does he just sit in the minors like a regular youngster already in the organization?

Steve
Draftsman77

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The drafted player wouldn't be a part of the team until he was signed. So, he would not benefit from training until he was signed.

The draftee would be automatically released when the next draft comes around if he's still in the drafted player spot.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
This would be handy. As of now, I have to leave a spot open for a potential draftee only to end up cutting him anyway. It ties up a roster spot I could use for a veteran who could contribute something.

One question I have, would it be better to have the prospect go into free agency or back into the new player pool if he wasn't signed?
Draftsman77

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I was thinking he'd be an 'undrafted free agent', but going back into the prospect pool is interesting. I wonder if that would make the drafts later in the season a bit deeper. A prospect you might pass on, might look awesome to me and so on.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
That's what I was thinking. The pools wouldn't dry up as quickly and you'd have a shot at prospects other teams may not need but would look good in your organization.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There might be international prospects around for a little while longer, but for the larger prospect pools (from which usually only 30% of the players ever get drafted), putting tried out and then rejected players back in the pool would just increase the chances of getting bad suggestions (especially ones that look good at first sight and then aren't).
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Hmm, that's a good point. Maybe the prospect is just deleted from the game if he is rejected? He just didn't have what it takes to be a minor leager. I'm not overly familiar with what happens before a player gets on an organization's radar in real life , but I imagine prospects are rejected by one scout and are never heard from again. If a scout from a different organization had seen him, there may have been a different outcome and he may have made a minor league roster. Luck of the draw.

Updated Monday, May 26 2014 @ 7:17:06 am PDT
Draftsman77

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So, there are quite a few undrafted players as things stand right now, if I'm understanding this correctly. Are those prospects eliminated from the game?

Also, I don't see this as likely, but is it possible there are some good players not being drafted?

And what happens to those 'good players' if they slip through the cracks?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Again, isn't this ultimately like just having one extra spot on your roster. Seems like it would be a lot easier to either expand the roster size to 51 or, for those that want the feature, keep only 49 players on the roster and an open spot for the player "trying out".

Steve
Draftsman77

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I suppose you could look at it that way. In my opinion having one extra roster spot would be too beneficial to the clubs that are already established. And, where do you stop? Why not have 5 more roster spots?

Just my two cents here, but having a ‘drafted player’ spot would solve the; ’51 roster spots, why or why not’ debate. The ‘draftniks’ get what they want and everyone can keep 50 active players at the ready from week to week. Seems like win-win to me.

That being said, I’m not the guy steering this ship. I know next to nothing about coding and the work involved on that end. If you say X way is easier, I will happily take your word for it.

Thanks for listening to the suggestion and creating/administering (not sure exactly who does what around here yet) what is shaping up to be a pretty cool game.

Previous Page | Show All |