Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Waiver/FA   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I know the current system may seem ridiculous to new comers, as every other sports game and his dog has a bidding system, but all this has been discussed to death here, and this system is really what fits better this game.

Mig2012 is right. We have discussed this extensively. I am willing to improve the system, but we just recently added the waiver claim system and I'd like to see how that plays out.

Steve
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
if there was claim restrictions there would be more players going to Free Agency and then there would be more player hoarding???...

i remember someone giving a suggestion about a system that could maybe prevent player hoarding...hmmmm
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If you’re talking about your latest suggestion, that was just an attempt to screw those who don’t care about farming systems.
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Don't talk to me about bidding systems!

You spend ages scouting talent only to be constantly outbid by richer clubs or owners lucky enough to be on when the auction closes.

I have seen some trading systems work, but newbies are always vulnerable to being taken advantage of. Hockey Dynasty for example has trades, free agency, contracts and a salary cap that seems to work OK.

I wasn't sure about the waiver system at first but it has this going for it:
  • I log on when I choose
  • I can scout the talent I need
  • Then I have the same chance of signing them as everybody else.
  • And afterwards I can still pick over the leftovers everyone had ignored or missed

The waiver system may not be perfect but it is more than adequate, it is easy to understand, easy to use, it is fair and most of all unlike bidding systems I don't waste endless time scouting players I have zero chance of signing.

Most of the frustration seem to arise because it to is not quick and easy to build a great team. But it is competitive situation, there are up to 756 teams selecting from the same limited resource pool and as a consequence it is challenging - but not impossible - to build a dynasty.
Den Duston

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
yeah the bidding system is really unfair and annoying. It's maybe the most used in sport management games but I don't like it..I rather prefer the Waiver System even if you have to be lucky but it's better than spend all the time bidding and maybe buy a player with an exaggerated prize or losing the auction.
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
After playing with it a bit more, I see the merits and im not at all opposed to the waiver system. Finally won one, but I think some sort of undroppable period may be a nice added to recent signies. Or something else that would prevent people from putting claims in on a bunch of players without even looking to see if they need them.

Another idea would be for a priority based waiver claim. So say you put a claim in for outfielder X and Y. They both come off waivers at the same time, but you want X more. So you set up a if X is signed by me, remove claim for Y.

I dont know how often that might happen, but I assume it has happened a few times before.
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Interesting idea, although not bullet proof.

Even when players are coming out of waivers in the same day, they are drawn in a random order, so if Y player came out first, the priority in player X would mean nothing.

But I'm not against this idea, as long as placing priority in one player doesn't give you better odds of winning him over someone who didn't place a priority in the player.

Anyway, I'm not seeing people claiming players without looking to see if they need them. I do see a lot of players being released right after being signed though, but those are mostly draftees.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, if somebody claims a player he then finds he doesn't need, maybe because he lucked out twice on the same position of need, the player goes right back to waivers the next time that manager locks on. Is that so bad?
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
was doing some thinking and i came up with a system...now i know Mig2012 will reject it right away with some wild accusation about me trying to force others to play my way or something...but i ask that the rest of you give it some thought...

now this might take a lot of coding, which would make it a very large project and therefore maybe it would not be overly likely that it will be used, but how about we give players a bit of personality?...

set it up so that players have a say in what they might want in a team, older players may be looking to win NOW, so they're more likely to accept claims from better teams, younger up and comers might want more playing time, so they're more likely to accept a waiver claim from teams that doesn't have a player better than him at that position.

now those are just 2 options and i am having issues thinking of more right now...but maybe have players that are greedy and they'll cost more than others who are at the same skill level, have some that wanna go to their hometown, more likely to take a claim from the team from where they are from, or maybe accept less pay to be there...

if some other managers could think of some "personalities" for players, suggestions would be great...

now...the system i had in mind would work like this...change waiver claims to "signing periods"...it works the same...but it's not really a waiver claim where that is more league sanctioned...but it's a signing period because all the teams can offer contracts and the player is allowing time to take offers and decide where he wants to go...

a player's "personality" adds a bit of weight to where he'll go so it's not completely random (which numerous people have voiced their displeasure)...but at the same time it will be fair enough because no manager has a large advantage over another...

give a lot of different types of players different "personalities" to ensure that for every young high potential star that wants more playing time, there are other young high potential stars that aren't as concerned and maybe even some that will just want to win, so every team has a chance at getting a player they would want...

"personality" assignments would be more or less random with some players being neutral (having no favorite) but there would be certain "personalities" that would be more common to some players while some that are less common to that same player (as mentioned, younger players want more play time, older players want to win now)...

"personalities" are displayed on the player page (maybe even add a category for it on the free agency list so you don't have to visit every player's page) so that everyone can see what that player wants and no one wastes time claiming players that it's very unlikely they'll get...

once they get through their signing period...managers can pick them up right away and their "personalities" are ignored as by this time the players just want to get signed...

and I'd also like to add an earlier idea that i suggested to get rid of player hoarding, certain players over a certain age or after playing a certain amount of pro games (maybe after age 27/600 games, which ever comes first)will have to go through waivers to get sent down to the minors, and waivers would work like now where anyone can come on and make claims, except that it's for a set amount of time (72 hours?) and that it can be a weighted claim by team rating (or because that might get a lot of flack, maybe it doesn't have to be weighted)

"personalities" are generated upon player creation...so when you draft a high school player, his "personality" will be part of his player page immediately...his "personality" might contradict with your team, but he's your property, so he's out of luck, but as soon as you release him, the "personality" comes into effect on where he'll go next...

players could have multiple "personalities" as long as they don't contradict each other...

my earlier mention of greed or not greedy, or hometown discount etc etc, this can affect contracts as a guy progresses, like i mentioned earlier that a greedy free agent will ask for more money for the same level of play than a non greedy player, but also, a draftee that makes his way up an organization, if he's greedy, his salary will be a little more than a not greedy player even though he's been raised by that team, this could be either put on their player page and so a team that is in a bit more financial trouble will have to make the tough decision right away of "do i release him cause he'll cost more?" or "he's got enough potential or he's a good enough player that he's worth the extra money"...or, you could have greed a hidden "personality" and you just have to keep a closer eye on his salary as he ages, and see if it's hurting your finances too much or if it's no big deal...

greed could maybe work in a 1-5 rating level, with 3 being a neutral level, 2 and 4, he'll accept slightly below or want slightly above (5%?) the average salary for a player of his caliber and 1 and 5 being that he'd accept a lot less or ask a lot more (10%?) than the average salary for a player of his caliber...

this isn't really a big deal...but thought that maybe "personalities" could play a part in the player choosing to leave your team as well...if you have a guy that wants to win and all your team does is lose, he may eventually get tired of losing and after the all-star game he'll tell you that the team isn't going in the direction he likes and that he'll leave at the end of the season, giving you time to find a suitable replacement before he leaves, or if you have a replacement already, you can just release him right away and open up a roster spot...another example being that a player that wants playing time, but you have another player playing more time in his position, he'll tell you that he wants to become a free agent so he can go somewhere that will play him more, again he'll tell you this after the all-star game and if you don't release him by the end of season he'll leave on his own...these decisions wouldn't come into effect after a player gets over a certain age or a certain amount of pro games (whichever one happens first) so that you're not losing all your high potential youngsters right away...thus creating a sort of unrestricted and restricted free agent type system...

i would say to not make this situation a certainty, if you have a player that wants to win and you lose a bunch, he shouldn't ask to leave the season that he hits the age/pro game requirement, or if you are able to sign a free agent and but your team doesn't match his "personality", he wouldn't ask to leave as soon as you make it to the all-star game. i would suggest maybe making it a 10% possibility each season that he'll ask to leave, that way, it's likely that you'd have time to turn your team around into something this player would want to be a part of, but the longer you ignore it, the more likely he'll leave (with the 10% of teams who are unlucky enough to have the player wanting to leave right away)...

the whole system that i propose will create a bit of (heaven forbid) realism in the sense that sometimes certain parts of running a club are not in the managers control at all but in the players, and it's not about finding the best players, but finding the right players and working with what you can and figuring out how to work around the factors that are out of your control...
ReekyLeek

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
When you're putting a book out for suggestions it's simply too much, I tend to go through posts daily for tips and ideas but I got bored by yours after the 2nd paragraph. Why complicate something that works. Everyone has the same odds once entered in the claim and that is fair.

Previous Page | Show All |