Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Depth Chart   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a depth chart for hitters...

Steve
Tv4IE

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Maybe hitters wasn't the correct word to use... more like position players in general.

The use of the depth chart was a suggestion mainly for defensive replacements in the cases of pitch hitters that stay in for the rest of the game(or replaced for another position player who already knows the position) in which not defensively suitable for that said position.

The depth chart could be used for position players to have another option to learn a different position coming of the bench (instead of only starting the player to eventually learn said position).
ReekyLeek

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Best example would be to check mlb depth charts for the defence. Quite often I have player who gets subbed defensively who are out of position, a left hand throwing player subbed in at 2b,3b and ss. Having a depth chart would allow for more then one option as a backup like their is right now. And might help maximize defence late in the games.
nobodyjones

Seattle Rickey
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Something like this would be great. imo
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Somewhat along that line, although not quite the same topic:
I often regret that it isn't possible to name someone who is meant to play a position as the backup for another position. If that player has to play as backup, then his backup will take over at his normal position.
Sounds complicated, but it's a rather common thing IRL. If my center fielder goes down, I may want to move the left fielder to center and play the backup in left field (insert Ellsbury/Gardner/Ichiro if you're familiar with the Yankees).
I understand that would make the substitution mechanism more complicated, but at least it wouldn't require changes to the user interface.

Updated Wednesday, March 26 2014 @ 3:09:06 am PDT
LCabral23

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think the idea of a defensive sub chart is a great idea... mainly because I'd like to be able to stop left handed players from getting subbed in to play 2B, SS, 3B, and C. I think what we have now on the lineup page is definitely a start to that idea... and has helped a great deal... but an "in game" depth chart would certainly help.
Tv4IE

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This is what I would like to prevent from happening...

http://brokenbat.org/game/1299463

Adams comes in the game to pitch run for 2B Virgil and stays to play 2B. Adams is a bat, nothing more, he can't play def and overall he is certainly not suitable to play this critical position. Adams made an error which in the long run end up giving 2 unearned runs (should have been 1 since the game should have ended when the first runner came home) which ultimately ended the game.
ReekyLeek

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What are the chances of having a defensive depth chart. Too often I get players I don't want playing out of position. Example: having a left handed throwing fielder playing 2b, ss and 3b
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Are you not setting the backups on your lineup??

Steve

Updated Thursday, May 15 2014 @ 12:12:08 am PDT
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
V.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I think there are two places where the backups field alone is inadequate:

First, when the replacement has very different batting skills so you would like to adjust the batting order if that backup plays. I can't see an ideal way of addressing this because there are so many substitution permutations it would not be possible to address them all. Perhaps a field for preferred batting position or a batting rating of some kind.

Secondly, I am not sure if the back-up is used for in play substitutions so it may be that the system is selecting replacements an owner wouldn't.

Previous Page | Show All |