Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Contracts on players   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
DANGLESNIPECEL9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd be all for it as long as there was some sort of notification or e-mail letting you know the re-sign period has begun, that way GM's don't continuously lose players because they don't get online at the time.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
No thank you, I get enough emails as is. I need no more. I really don't want a signing period because I can't time my life to get online at the start of it and the best players will be gone in a relatively short window. As flawed as the current system may be, it is better than any alternatives suggested so far.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Managing contract lengths is probably the most interesting aspect of putting together a professional baseball team. After all, that's a key point of what's going on around the MLB between the playoffs and the start of spring training.
And it's in no way comparable to the price of tickets or even stadium food sales. Sports simulations that have things like that do that simply to make their players log in (and thus look at their ads) more often. Look at any baseball blog - how much talk is there about albatross contracts or locking up talent, compared to maybe one post a year about ticket prices.
To avoid losing players simply because you weren't online, one should be able to re-sign players anytime during the season, and contracts should run by seasons from the time of signing, not to the end of the season to avoid flooding the free agent market at the season's end. One could be able to choose between signing a player to a short-term contract for his current pay (plus a flexibility penalty maybe) or a longer (standard length depending on age) contract with pay based on average future player development. If you develop a player well, you save a premium compared to his normal pay; if you let good talent on a long contract rust on the bench, you overpay. Offering a long-term contract could also give you an advantage in the waiver system.
I see the problem of early termination of contracts without allowing all kinds of possible manipulation you get in trades, but the system could act as a neutral trade partner, a bit like it does in goalunited, for example. On the other hand, if you want to get rid of a player making more than he's currently worth, you pay a penalty. If you give up a good player on a cheap contract, you're paid a premium. That way, you could also get at least something back if you suddenly end up with three promising shortstops coming out of your farm system at the same time, but not the catcher you really need.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Sorry, the "On the other hand" in the last paragraph should be one sentence further down...
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Couldn’t disagree more.

Managing contracts is the most boring thing in sports management games.

I wouldn’t like to see Broken Bat turned into OOTP online. It’s too much depth for a browser game. No fun at all.

The way contracts are working is just fine.

If it ain’t broken don’t fix it.

Horrible suggestion.
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The current Broken Bat player contract setup is similar to that of MLB pre free agency(pre 1975).

I love keeping the same guys on my team year after year. I haven't heard a single one of them complain about any infringements on their rights as american workers and, as an owner, I'm raking in tons of cash so I say don't change a thing!

Curtis P
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
"The current Broken Bat player contract setup is similar to that of MLB pre free agency(pre 1975)."
Not true. That players could negotiate their contracts freely does not mean they could be fired from one day to the next, as we can do here (and, yes, with the mess of a team I started with, I do profit from that). Just in case someone doesn't believe that, I made a very quick google search:
-Mickey Mantle was apparently mostly on one-year contracts in the 60s.
-Willie Mays signed a two-year contract with SF in 1966: http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675029934_Willie-Mays_baseball-contract_press-conference_baseball-match
-When Babe Ruth was sold to the "American League Baseball Club of New York" in 1919, the second part of his contract was still running until 1921: https://twitter.com/MLBFanCave/status/416270904750923776/photo/1
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ok, It is true that the current broken bat system is not an exact copy of the MLB, pre-1975 system.

I only said that it was similar in that there is no free agency unless the player is released.

I like the current system and I oppose a total overhaul to create something like the current MLB free agent system.

Curtis P
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
For those of you not familiar with MLB labor history:

History of the Major League Baseball Players Association

Curt Flood's unsuccessful challenge of the reserve clause got the ball rolling toward free agency. Funded by his fellow players, Flood sued Major League Baseball privately. Flood eventually lost his case in the U.S. Supreme Court, but the battle educated countless players and millions of Americans about the fundamental inequity of the reserve system, which perpetually renewed a player's contract, essentially binding the player to one club for life, or until that club decided to get rid of the player.

Just three years after Flood vs. Kuhn, players Andy Messersmith and Dave McNally once again challenged the reserve clause. This time, instead of a trial in a court of law, an independent arbitrator heard the case. And in December 1975, the players finally won the right to free agency, when arbitrator Peter Seitz ruled that the reserve clause granted a team only one additional year of service from a player, putting an end to perpetual renewal right the clubs had claimed for so long.

Steve
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Besides the things mentioned so far you make several massive errors Holmes. First, you assume that the people in those baseball forums that you go to that have people talking contracts are the same people here. I don't like talking contracts, I like talking baseball stats, like those you see on the field relating to play, not those related to money. Second, you assume that money is the only aspect of the game that matters, it isn't. You say all we have control over is tickets and concessions (besides the fact we don't have control over concessions) that isn't true. The people who log in every day, add and drop players on Fridays, and otherwise manage their squads tend to advance in the game long term, the people who don't may see a little short term success, but over the long term they fail, hard. Third, you cite a few really high profile players and assume their condition was generalizable, that is shoddy work. Overall, I don't think goal united's model would work very well for baseball anyways tbh particularly for acquiring minor league talent.

Previous Page | Show All |