IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey, I'm from the UK and Russia.

Competitive league this season!

What are you planning with your teams?
Cadillac Jack

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I am still getting to know my players. Hopefully my team will do better as the season goes on. It is good to meet you. Good luck with your season.
Cadillac Jack

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Welcome back everyone. Where is everyone from? I live in Michigan!!
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
If you're from Cadillac, I have a cousin that lives there :)
Cadillac Jack

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
No I am not from Cadillac, I live in Lewiston Michigan. Northern lower Michigan USA
Cadillac Jack

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The John's Creek Piranhas have lost 5 out of their last 6 games. The team got off to a good start. But n0ow momentum is slipping away.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Been a while, but let’s see if I can still do these or not. The usual disclaimers apply: This is strictly by-the-numbers, very quick-n’-dirty, good/bad is only in comparison to the divisional average, and in no way should any of this be taken as gospel.

———————————————

V I . 1 3   W E S T

Apple Valley Raccoons
 The Raccoons are the best contact in the West by a fair bit with roughly average power and discipline, but their bat control is lacking. They’re a bit on the slow side for a West team, too. Their defense is a bit above average across the board, particularly their arms. They have the best fastballs in the West with even better off-speed stuff that will make a lot of hitters look silly, especially with the division’s best control.

Prediction: 1st — Best pitching in the division by far plus good defense will carry the offense on bad days.

Hilo Turtles
 The Turtles are generally above average in all offensive categories except for two: Power and speed. Their power is the West’s worst, while their speed is the West’s best. A small ball approach should not be unexpected. Their fielding also tops the West and their arms are good, but their range is just a touch on the low side. Their pitchers lack change of speed, but have the best movement in the West and good control to back it up.

Prediction: 2nd — Solid offense, solid defense, solid pitching? Solid finish.

San Rafael Yankees
 The Yankees are an abysmal contact team, VI.13’s worst, but have decent bat control and power with the most plate discipline in the league by an obscene margin. They’re also a very quick team on the base paths — they’ll walk, then they’ll run. Their defensive range leads the West and their arms are great, but West worst gloves will be maddening. Their pitching ranges from almost average change of speed to division bottom control and stamina.

Prediction: 5th — The offense won’t score nearly enough runs to make up for slipshod defense and sloppy pitching.

Tuscon Stallions
 The Stallions are a poor offensive ball club, with average power being the high point of their at bats. Their speed is the lowest in the league, which won’t help much when they manage to get on base. Their defense is generally serviceable, and their arms are noteworthy for being VI.13’s best — run at your own peril. Their pitching is generally average, though their control is near the top of the West.
Prediction: 3rd — …Or so say the numbers, but arms could be skewing that.

Sierra Vista Dodgers
 The Dodgers are a great contact team with almost average power and speed, but bat control and discipline are at the bottom of the division, if not the league. Their overall defense is also VI.13’s worst, though no individual skill ranks lowest in the league (although their range is the West’s lowest). The high point of the team is their pitching, being just short of the divisional average overall.

Prediction: 6th — This team almost deserves to be in VII, not VI.

Gary Gorillas
 The Gorillas straddle the divisional average with hitting and plate discipline, but lead the West in bat control and VI.13 in power. Coupling that with their good speed makes them the league’s best overall offensive ball club. The wprst arms in VI.13 mar an otherwise average defense. Their pitching features excellent movement, which could help offset lackluster velocity and change of speed.

Prediction: 4th — The offense could make this team punch above their weight class if the poor defensive arms don’t drag them down.

———————————————

V I . 1 3   E A S T

Deerfield Beach Rats
 The Rats offense consists mainly of league leading contact — bat control and plate discipline rank near the bottom of the division, and they have the worst power in the league. Their speed is a bit below average as well; expect barrages of singles. Poor fielding could pair with good range and arms to provide comedies of errors. The pitching staff has VI.13’s best heat and good control, but not much for secondary pitches and the league’s worst stamina.

Prediction: 4th — Sketchy defense will wear down the pitching, and the offense won’t contribute much help.

Bowling Green Gators
 The Gators are also an exceptional contact team, but have more patience and power to go along with it (albeit at the expense of bat control). They’ll be on base often enough to take advantage of their good speed. They have good range defensively, but are otherwise below average in the field. Their pitching has the league’s lowest velocity, but highest control and stamina; add that to East leading change of speed and they can junk ball for days.

Prediction: 2nd — A little more offense or defense to support the pitching and this team is on to something.

Newport Musketeers
 The Musketeers aren’t a great contact team, but have good bat control and plate discipline with average power. They’re a bit on the slow side on the base paths, but might still favor a small ball approach despite that. They’re a defensive train wreck, with subpar range and arms compounded by the worst gloves in the league. Their pitchers feature the East’s best movement and good stamina, but are below average otherwise — particularly with their control.

Prediction: 5th — The shoddy defense will unfortunately outlast the pitching, and they may be inconsistent at the plate.

St. Louis Park Cardinals
 The Cardinals are an excellent contact ball club with league leading power and great bat control, but have VI.13’s worst discipline by far. They’re one of the East’s slowest teams, but will likely trot more than run around the bases. That sluggishness carries over onto the field with VI.13’s worst range, though division best arms and league best gloves should mitigate that. Good velocity, change of speed, and stamina could spell bad days for opposing hitters.

Prediction: 1st — They’ll swing at everything and probably make it go a long way; the pitching and defense will be enough.

Des Moines Hawks
 The Hawks have poor contact team and bad bat control, but are patient and have good power. They’re easily the fastest team in the league, which will frustrate sluggish or rag-arm defenses. That speed leads to league best range, combining with strong arms and good gloves to make this the best overall defense in VI.13. They’ll need it: Aside from good control, their pitchers’ high point is below average velocity; the rest is at or near the league bottom.

Prediction: 3rd — The defense will look the pitching look a lot better than it is, and the offense will hold its own.

Manchester Demons
 The Demons are the worst contact team in the East, but have the best discipline in the East and the best bat control in VI.13. Despite their East worst speed, they may need to rely on small ball for an on-over-in approach to supplement scoring. Their defense can most charitably be described as below average, with range lacking in particular. They have a good junk ball selection, but little heat and VI.13’s worst control by a good margin.

Prediction: 6th — The offense lacks the consistency to support pitching and defense who won’t do each other any favors.

———————————————

Playoff prediction: St. Louis Park wins in seven — The Raccoons offense will sorely try the Cardinals’ defense; the Cardinals offense will eventually break the Raccoons’ pitching.
MacHatter

Kihei Stingrays
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Hello Gents

This is my first season playing Broken Bat and it looks like I have a steep learning curve to climb!

If I can keep it close to a .500 season I will consider my rookie year a success.

I live on the West Coast of Canada ...

Good luck to all!

Cheers

Andrew Mad Mac MacHatter
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 It’s that time again! The usual disclaimers apply: This is strictly by-the-numbers, very quick-n’-dirty, good/bad is only in comparison to the divisional average, and in no way should any of this be taken as gospel.

———————————————

W E S T   D I V I S I O N

Lakewood Lions
 The Lions are a decent contact team with good power and the West’s best bat control. They’re the league’s slowest team, so they’ll rely on the long ball and gap shots. Their range suffers for the speed, but there’s nothing wrong with their arms, which are among the league’s best. Most of their pitching tools are barely average at best, with only their control and stamina being noteworthy, the latter leading the division. Also worth noting, this is the league’s oldest team by no small margin.

Prediction: 2nd — Their bats will keep them in the race, but their pitching will doom them.

San Raphael Yankees
 The Yankees are the worst contact team in VI.13, but are by far the most patient team at the plate. Add to that their division leading speed on the basepaths and you have a team who will walk a lot and effectively turn it into doubles. That speed translates to the best range in the division, and their league best arms will give all but the boldest baserunners pause. They have excellent change of speed on the mound, but their movement is lacking and their control is the worst the West has to offer.

Prediction: 1st — Consistent walks and swiped bags will be just enough to overcome their erratic pitching.

Gary Gorillas
 The Gorillas are a bit lacking on contact, but are otherwise well above average offensively and boast VI.13’s best power. They are also exceptionally fast, which will make them hard to contain once they’re on base. They have the league’s worst arm strength in the field, but are otherwise well above average. Their pitching, however, is woefully inadequate, being below average across the board with only velocity even getting close.

Prediction: 5th — This team badly needs a pitching staff, but when they get one… watch out.

Sierra Vista Dodgers
 The Dodgers are the best contact team in the division, but it comes at the expense of other offensive tools, all of which are below average. Their speed is impressive, however, and they may opt for a variant of smallball that relies less on the bunt. Their fielding is convincingly the division’s worst, which will be all the more frustrating for their good range. Their pitching is comfortably above average everywhere but control and stamina, and notably lead the West in velocity.

Prediction: 6th — The pitching won’t hold up with that defense, especially with a low output offense.

Hilo Manta Rays
 The Manta Rays are a good contact team, but mediocre at best otherwise. Their average speed and division worst power will lead to a lot of station to station baserunning. Their fielding is superb, tied for the best in VI.13, and the rest of their defensive tools are also above average. Their pitching has the worst change of speed in the league and stamina in the division, but their good velocity and league best movement will certainly help compensate for that.

Prediction: 4th — If their offense overachieves at all, the pitching and defense could turn this into a dark horse in the pennant race.

Tuscon Stallions
 The Stallions offense is lackluster from one end to the other, with only their bat control being slightly above average. Their speed is also on the West’s low end. Their defense is no better, with poor fielding and abysmal range that rates as the League’s worst. The pitching staff is the bright spot on the team: Their velocity is slightly above average, and it only gets better from there — a lot better, including VI.13’s best control.

Prediction: 3rd — Their anemic offense and poor will prove too much for their pitching overcome on many days, but far from all of them.

————————————————————

E A S T   D I V I S I O N

Germantown Giants
 The Giants are an excellent contact team with good discipline and the East’s best power. With their good speed once they’re on base, this team will prove difficult to contain. Their fielding is well above average, though their arms are slightly lacking. On the mound, they have great movement and control paired with the league’s best change of speed and stamina — junkballs for days!

Prediction: 1st — The Giants will lead from wire to wire. The East will have no pennant race this season.

St. Louis Park Cardinals
 The Cardinals have exceptional contact and good power, but little else. Dismal plate discipline and the division’s worst speed will lead to station to station ballgames unless the ball leaves the yard (which won’t be infrequent).Their defense is tied as the league’s best, which will help hide the fact that their range is poor. Their pitching generally straddles the divisional average, with only their high stamina being particularly worth mentioning.

Prediction: 2nd — …Albeit a distant second.

Newport Musketeers
 The Musketeers being a below average contact team in the East says terrifying things about the East’s capability to put the ball in play. Their bat control and discipline are good, though subpar speed will hinder them somewhat. Their defense is atrocious, and the mediocre range and arms will make this an easy team to victimize. Their pitching is generally above average, though low control will only serve to contribute more baserunners via walk or hit batsman.

Prediction: 4th — Their pitching isn’t nearly consistent enough for the defense they have on the field.

Deerfield Beach Rats
 The Rats are the best contact in the team by a ridiculous margin, but have below average plate discipline and VI.13’s worst discipline and power. Their speed is lackluster at best, which makes even smallball a questionable option at best. Their range and arms in the field are good, but their gloves are the worst the league has on offer. Their pitching has the East’s best movement and the league’s best velocity with good control, but lack change of speed and have VI.13’s worst stamina. They are also the league’s youngest team.

Prediction: 6th — There’s nothing about this team that doesn’t scream “rebuilding”.

Des Moines Hawks
 The Hawks are the division’s worst team for contact and bat control, but have decent plate discipline and power. Their speed is far and away VI.13’s best; anyone who gets on base without circling them will advance with impunity. Their fielding is good, and their range and arms both comfortably lead the division. Their pitching is their downfall; they have great control, but an almost average fastball is the best they can boast otherwise — and it goes downhill fast from there.

Prediction: 3rd — There are more pitching woes than the defense can make up for, and inconsistent offense won’t help matters.

Manchester Demons
 The Demons are a poor contact team, but they have good power, lead the division in discipline, and lead the league in bat control. Their speed is below average, which will probably lead to more of a “three true outcome” approach than a smallball one. Their fielding is average, but they have the East’s worst range and arms. Their pitching has good change of speed and movement, but division worst velocity and control will lead to a lot of baserunners for the opposition.

Prediction: 5th — The pitching and defense will give up far too much than the offense has a chance of overcoming.

————————————————————

Playoff prediction: Germantown Giants in four — Giant pitching will shut down Yankee bats, but the reverse won’t be the case.

Updated Tuesday, March 28 2023 @ 12:33:29 pm PDT
MacHatter

Kihei Stingrays
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey Pseudo ... I love this pre-season analysis. Very well done. I am not sure my managing experience is sophisticated enough that I can take advantage of knowing my opponents better and using to my benefit. I am just trying to keep my head above water! Cheers, mate.

Previous Page | Show All |