League Forum

Forum >> Leagues >> V.4   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Before I get on with the analysis, there are several distinct trends with the league that should be addressed:

» This is a very contact-heavy league. There are going to be a lot of balls put in play. Defense is going to be crucial this season.
» This is a very speed-oriented league. Aggressive running games will likely be the rule in 2042, not the exception.
» Speed translates to range in the field. Balls in play will find gloves. Fielding could make or break a season for a team.
» The arms in this league are insane. Taking those running games into account, fielder-vs-runner highlights from V.4 would be so much fun to watch.
» Pitchers favor junkballs. The West prefers movement, the East prefers change of speed, but there will be a lot of balls on the ground either way.
» Pitchers will paint. Control on the mound is absolutely ridiculous. How this plays with all the high-contact offenses could make for an interesting study.

With that as a baseline, let’s move on to the teams:

V . 4   W E S T 

Butte Pirates
 The Pirates are one of the worst contact teams in the league (which says more about V.4 than the Pirates) but have excellent discipline at the plate. Their speed is just a smidge below the league average (which, again, a credit to V.4). Their defense may may be their weakest area, being below average on range tied for the division’s worst fielding. Their pitching is undeniably the bright spot of the team, with league-leading movement and just enough heat to help keep opposing batters honest.
Prediction: 2nd — Their pitching needs a little more offense and a lot more defense to back it up.

San Jose Warriors
 The Warriors are the worst contact team in the West, hands down, but have the best bat control and good power; when they make contact, the ball’s going to jump. Their speed is just enough above the league average to warrant mention. They have one of the more solid defenses in the division with league-best arms that should give even the boldest runners pause. They have a notably sub-par pitching staff compared to the rest of V.4, with only their stamina stacking up to the rest of the league.
Prediction: 6th — Their defense might bail out the pitching, but inconsistent offense will be problematic.

Surprise Desert Foxes
 The Desert Foxes are the division’s least patient team, but with good reason: They want to see how far their league-leading power sends the ball! Even if it doesn’t leave the yard, expect a merciless onslaught on the base paths; this is the fastest team in the league by a wide margin. Though their arms are more susceptible to the running game, finding holes in their defense or gloves won’t be easy. Their change of speed on the mound leads the division, as does their control.
Prediction: 1st — Offense: Check. Defense: Check. Pitching: Check. ’Nuff said.

Burnsville Dragons
 The Dragons have the best contact in the division and very good plate discipline, but not much power. Their speed is exceptional, and combined with their plate skill will drive opponents mad when they get on base. Their league-leading range will get to nearly everything, but their division-worst fielding will cause many a batted ball to turn into an adventure. Their pitchers are some of the league’s wildest, but everything else is above average — particularly their movement.
Prediction: 3rd — Porous gloves won’t make for happy pitchers, but the offense will be productive.

Omaha Rams
 The Rams will likely be on base more than any team in the division, if not the league, with great contact and league-leading plate discipline. They may be a station-to-station offense with division-worst speed, however. Though their gloves are solid, their defense has among the worst range and arms — a bad combination in a contact and speed dominated league. Their pitching staff has league-leading stamina, and may need it with only good control and below-league-average movement going for it.
Prediction: 5th — The offense won’t keep up with runs lost to sluggish defense and inadequate pitching.

Monterey Titans
 The Titans are right at the league average in contact, but otherwise lagging behind in every other ability at the plate. Their speed is also roughly right at the league average. Their defense is where this team shines, with the best fielding in V.4 this season and above average range, though West-worst arms may leave them vulnerable to aggressive runners. Their pitching staff features wicked bendy pitches and the league’s most overpowering fastballs, albeit with V.4’s worst control.
Prediction: 4th — Pitching and defense will make offensive issues less glaring.

————————————————————

V . 4   E A S T 

Deerfield Beach Rats
 The Rats are the best contact team in V.4 and the East’s most patient team, but lack any semblance of power. Their speed is near the league average, which should be enough in a fast league that their hitters won’t just be playing station-to-station. Defensively, they’re comfortably ahead of the curve across the board, featuring among the best fielding and arms in the league. Their pitching staff has the league’s best control, with well above average heat and change of speed to use it on.
Prediction: 2nd — Solid pitching will have solid pitching and solid run support to back it up.

Coral Springs Dolphins
 The Dolphins are the league’s least disciplined team at the plate and lack power, but their bat control leads the East. Put that together with the division’s best speed and this team could find success in a small ball approach. The team’s defense is the Beast of the East, leading the division in every category (and range in particular). Their pitching staff tops the division in several categories (including the best change of speed for all of V.4) and is second in the rest.
Prediction: 1st — Their offense may not score often, but their pitching and defense won’t need them to.

North Bergen Polar Bears
 The Polar Bears lack bat control, but make up for it in division-best power and well above average contact. Add their speed on the base paths to the mix and this could be one of the league’s offensive powerhouses. Their defense, on the other hand, is a lackluster affair that falls short of the league average across the board. Most of their pitching abilities fall in the vicinity of the league, with the noteworthy exception of their East-best movement.
Prediction: 3rd — Shaky defense won’t do the pitching any favors, but the offense could help overcome that.

Stillwater Stallions
 The Stallions are an exceptional contact team and are above average in all the rest of the offensive metrics. Their good speed on the base paths should combine with that to lead to a productive keep-the-line-moving offense. Defensively, the team is generally at the league average, though their arms are distinctly north of that. The team’s pitching is a junkball extravaganza, lacking heat but comparing favorably to the rest of the league otherwise.
Prediction: 4th — The offense is there, but the pitching will need to overachieve to really compete.

Jacksonville Jaguars
 The Jaguars will get plenty of baserunners between their contact and discipline, but won’t hit for power. Their league-worst speed will likely lead to a lot of station-to-station baserunning. This team has the worst defense V.4 has to offer, full stop, and there’s no way of sugar coating that. Their pitching isn’t much better off, being below the league average across the board with only control even getting close.
Prediction: 6th — This team is in freefall and might not even stop at VI.

Marietta Braves
 The Braves are undisciplined and easily the league’s worst contact team, though their power could make a three-true-outcome approach somewhat feasible. Their speed is roughly average for V.4 this season. Their fielding is solid and arms outstanding, but it may take them a while to get to the ball with some of the lowest range in the league. Their pitching staff is solid from one end to the other, though that straddles the line between above and below league average in 2042.
Prediction: 5th — Nothing about this team really stands out enough to warrant high expectations.

————————————————————

Playoff prediction: Surprise Desert Foxes in five — The Dolphins won’t be able to contain the Desert Foxes.
zimanable

North Bergen Polar Bears
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi, everyone!

@AssumedPseudonym That's a cool review :)
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Glad to have you here!

On a more unfortunate note, I just saw in the league press releases that sheish, longtime owner of the Stillwater stallions, has decided to retire from Broken Bat. He was one of the guys in VI.7 back in my first season, and has been a guy I’ve rooted for in for several league championship series over the years. It’s a sad thing to see him go.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Tie at the top of the West, three-way tie at the top of the East; we’ve got some serious pennant races to look forward to down the stretch, y’all.
zimanable

North Bergen Polar Bears
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Congrats to Deerfield! What a finish. :)
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Thanks! Good luck next season! ^.^

I don’t know if giorgio_242 reads the forum or not, but that was a helluva season you put together. I kinda feel bad about how I wound up taking the division, that had to be a rough way to lose after making the comeback you did late in the season. If you can play like that again next season, I like your odds.

…So. Hurr Durr. We meet again. Just like old times, eh? Good luck in the playoffs, my dude!
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I just realized that for both divisions, my preseason predictions for first and second, third and fourth, and fifth and sixth were all flipped. (The West basically had a tie for second place, so I’m declaring it still counts. …Yup.)
Hurr Durr

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm looking forward to it, AP.
Hoping for a more competitive series than I gave you in '34.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Seeing as we’re at 2-2 right now, I think you can safely say you’ve accomplished that! Great series so far.
Hurr Durr

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Game 4 was a killer. From you being a run down with the bases empty and two out in the bottom of the ninth to you loading the bases and going yard before I could get that third out. Ouch.
I expected to lose the fifth game considering the guy I had to start on the mound was supposed to be in long relief for the series.
Still holding out hope for a brighter tomorrow.

Previous Page | Show All |