League Forum

Forum >> Leagues >> VI.15   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
gFrie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Draft Day 154 - Week 2

We cut our first round draft pick to make room for the 2nd round draft pick. http://brokenbat.org/player/305066 for those looking, 13 potential but at 26 has just 10 hitting towards a 'great hitter' comment and felt like with great luck he might get to 14 before he ran out of time.

Mateo Jimenez - 14 potential with unhittable fastball and exceptional curveball, not much else really stood out. We went back to pitching since the foreign pool was such a bust and we REALLY need starting pitching still. The downside to Jimenez is he has a really high HR rate in some of his appearances in amateurs, but he was starting a good chunk of those games in the years where he started spiking his HR rate, so with a lower usage maybe that is at a more reasonable number....hopefully.

Waivers Day 152

Sung Ho Park - 12 Claims - Feel like i won a pretty good corner OF here. He wont have great range and his arm is just ok, but his fielding and most of his hitting skills look like they'll be more than enough to win their way onto my team. I can see why really good teams can't spend time in him, but we are far from that still.

Training Day 154

Starting with a drop, the SS i've been trying to build up and survive with lost armstrength. 17 to 16 at SS isn't super important to me. However, he's fringe at best in actual fielding so he's not the most ideal for the spot anyways, and thus plays versus lefties only. Yamada, who kinda fits in the same theme of not ideal defense for a 3B (Range is too poor, arm is below average) is at least going to stick as a DH if nothing else at this point, as he triple pops to 16 hitting, 12 BC, and 15 PD. Doesn't have to hit his cap to be quite useful, though we'll keep pushing him to do well and improve another level in all hitting areas. Noriega pops in fielding. He's my defensive CF that helps me survive the corners being somewhat worthless at times defensively. Park popped in hitting after joining the team from waivers, Sullinger is at an 11 fielding now, Trout improved on PD, and Kerr improved in PD as well to round out the hitting improvements.

Pitching pops start with a triple pop in movement, control, and stamina from Agosti. About enough room for one more full round of pops, and then we'll know where we stand with his skills. Carrizales now has 12 velocity and 6 CoS, bringing him to 74 SI. He's only an 11 potential but has very low defensive ratings so he's fairly close to a 12 potential's ceiling in reality. Shuler improves in fielding, and his statistics across his career here have been great against lefties baring 10 innings with his prior team, so i'm happy to have him even if he has stopped developing. Norris triple pops in CoS, Movement, and Stamina. his H/9 is still terrible though, we need that number to go down or i'm going to eventually be too frustrated to keep him. Isales triple pops in Velocity, Movement, and Control. In theory doesn't have enough stamina to start, but we're pushing him into the role to try and maximize his development. In the minors we had improvements across a good chunk of the players, with Angulo gaining fielding, Vazquez gaining Movement, Castillo popping in stamina, Rutledge popping in fielding, Mota also in fielding, and finally Mcwhortter popped in Movement, Stamina, and Fielding. A few of the AAA guys are now listed as ready to get called up, so we're gonna make some critical decisions here in the next week or so.

Pullman is 6-4 this early in the year, which is a nice start but it's a long season.
gFrie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Day 161 , Draft Week 3

Went College to try and get now talent, didn't have an incredibly deep pool to choose from but we may have a decent prospect in Austin Radford. He is going to be a very low OBP player, but could be a decent vs LHP corner OF with a little bit of work. We'll monitor how quickly he can get to 13 hitting, if he isn't there by 25 probably going to look elsewhere but we aren't capped out on depth by any means.

Releases

Mark Agosti - not convinced he has really shown everything he is capable of, but we're also getting a bit tired of poor performance after poor performance. His movement should be his best attribute, but he is givving up way too many hits to right handed hitters and since the average team is heavy on the righties we can't justify the .301 average across 90 innings, all with a decent amount of skills.

Training Day 161

Yamada pops to 16 power. Again, not really expecting him to get to that 13 potential cap, but happy to see him pushing towards the top end of the 12 week after week. Long Lee moved back to 2B and has been much more solid defensively there, and now also has a 13 in PD to go with the high contact and solid fielding. However, he needs to not be sitting at a .173 average if he wants to stay with the team. Randall the part time OF with the vLHP lineup is doing qutie well this year, and improved from 10 to 11 in bat control. Larry Mathew was brought in to be the productive DH of the next 5-6 seasons if he could move quickly in development. He was slow going the first couple weeks but this week he double popped in plate discipline and power. he has done very well this season with his current build, so we're hoping as he improves he can stay close enough to that performance going forward. Lemond Brandon is the vs LHP lineup equivalent of Larry Mathew but needed another hitting pop or two to really justify playing him in the majors. He now has that 12 hitting. If he can speed through some pops in the majors when he gets his look here soon, then he has every chance to be a dangerous 1B/DH. Mel Trout popped in power, trying to patiently wait out his callup signal from the coaches. Finally Morris Kerr is now at 101 SI and stuck with the AA projection, as he pops to 16 hitting. Gonna take a lot to keep him in AA or AAA if he caps you know....

Pitching wise Niko Horvat's having a rough year as the closer, but he triple popped to 94 SI with improvements in Velocity, Control, and Stamina. I might move him around and look for another Closer option or just go without, he's been too solid as a standard reliever to give up on now. Carrizales pops in movement to 15. He should be well on his way to capping movement before he caps his build, and despite the 75 SI he has a solid statline for his career so far. David Norris pops to 12 control. He's really got a strong build in every area but strikeouts, so his improvement to a 4's era from a 7's last season seems reasonable. Geraldo Castillo is set to make his majors debute in the rotation this weekend. He popped to 6 CoS. We're not expecting his minors performance level to hold up, but we are hopeful to see him gain 8-10 SI at a reasonably quick pace with the innings he should be getting. Marcelo Torrest improves to 12 CoS and 11 Stamina. After being in the majors way too early in 2055 and 2056, he is now a more refined pitcher in 2058 at over 20 SI from where he was as a 21 year old. Oscar Isales rounds out the majors pops with a pop in both Control and Stamina. Kinda similar to Geraldo Castillo in that we're giving him innings knowing they might not all go well. In the Minors Mattox pops to 14 in control. he now has no stat lower than a 14 in the pitching vitals. I'm sure i could call him up now and have a good starter, but we're still 1 season out from turning the corner. Hunter Sears is the other pop, with movement going to a 6.

gFrie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Day 168, Draft Week 4

Rodolfo Solano - High movement with good numbers in amateurs, might be a usable SP in a good 5-6 years. Needs a lot of polish before he gets to that point. Not much more to say until i know more honestly.

Training Day 168

Edgar Alvarez gains the OF capitalization back. Not that he's a amazing corner OF, but he is passable in comparison to other guys we have now. Daniel Malachi gained in positional knowledge at C, and also gained hitting and plate discipline. Pretty much at the border of 12 and 13 potential, looking forward to seeing him gain a few more SI before the end of the season. Munenori Yamada gained more fielding, which is helpful at 3B where he's slightly weak. Long Lee is still having quite the terrible season, but is gaining in hitting and fielding, so now he look even more like an underachiever. Larry Mathew gets a terrible fielding pop, he's still a permanent DH. Raymond Sullinger gains in hitting, and Morris Kerr gains in BC to round out hitters.

Niko Horvat is now up to 95 SI with gains in Movement. Carrizales gains in Stamina, which really isn't something we were predominantly wanting out of him, but i guess it'll help in the long run. David Norris improves in Cos and in stamina, bringing him to 16 CoS and 18 Stamina. His numbers have improved quite a bit over last years at this point, probably has something to do with him getting close to full build now that he's at 96 SI. I also think his HR numbers last year were quite the anomaly. Geraldo Castillo is taking his lumps in the majors, but he is only 23. Gaining in velocity and control should help stabilize him some. Think it'll take all of this season and next season for him to get close to his cap, and at that point we'll have to see exactly what he's made of. Marcelo Torres is also 23, and is also taking a few lumps. However, now at 90 SI after Movement and Control gains makes me think we won't have to worry too much about his performance by the start of next season. Isales is 21 and gaining in fielding and range, asking to get sent back to waivers with this sort of update, if nothing else it tests my patience.

Minors wise, Charlie Mattox grows to 15 movement despite a lack of movement comments. Almanza, who is probably too far behind and mid level at best gained in movement. Jimenez is improving in control, which is great with how much improving he can do in movement and velocity. Parsons improves in CoS, Gaytan in Control, and Sears in Fielding to round out the minors.

Waivers Day 165

Nathan Silver - 19 Claims - A nice young 1B/OF, Silver has everything i want in a hitter except his ability to drive the ball in the air consistently. Going to start getting him some more AB's in hopes of getting him towards the 109-110 mark this season for full build.
gFrie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Draft Day 172

Gonzalo De La Fuentes - Probably best as a Catcher from what i can see, but i don't think he'll survive at 11 potential and with just good hitting and no fielding comment. Thinking about cutting my losses.

Waivers Week ending day 172

Hitoshi Tatsuya - a 30 year old 2 claimer, he doesn't really have great offense, but i've grown a little frustrated of the poor defense at 2B/SS over the last year or two and the high hitting graded Long Lee has been poor, so we've decided to part ways with the younger of the two upon getting Tatsuya in. Long term if Tatsuya hit's a .600 ops with his defense playing to his grades, we think we could get a solid 3 seasons out of him no problems and we might be looking to rotate high defensive veteran players at the SS and perhaps 2B over the long term until we can find better in our own development system.

Releases

Long Lee - Hitting at or under 250 with an 18 hitting, an with his low power making his slugging non existent we were getting essentially nothing on the bat side. defensively he's probably just good enough at 2B, so he got demoted from SS to 2B and them from 2B to out of the lineup when his bat still hadn't recovered at all.

Robin Rea - .256 despite really good hitting and obp potential really just wasn't going to cut it. He should've had more potential power but it never materialized, and without any power production or good speed, he was essentially only a plus player with his 17 fielding grade, and that wasn't enough reason to keep him in with the barely double digits range and arm.

Training Day 172

Not a very big update this time around. Newcomer Nathan silver, as well as Mathews and Noriega, gained in hitting. the last hitter on the list was Malachi, who gained in fielding. no minors pops occured on the hitting side, but the 3 hitting pops are pretty important to our success as Noriega is our defensive CF and can maybe contribute a bit more offensively, and Silver and Mathews are trying to grow into full time roles. They all hit 16 hitting together in this update.

Pitching wise a little more improvement occured. The Younger Barragan improved in control, he's not getting a ton of playing time so it'll be difficult to get him to cap probably, but we don't want to continue being a poor team for much longer, we're turning the corner and getting close to having talent ready at about every other spot so we'll have to see if he can get to 78-80 si this season without getting massive innings. Carrizales improved in fielding, which makes another update where he really didn't improve in pitching ratings. Castillo's been getting beaten up a lot in starts and only has a stamina gain to show for it. Torres who went down to the minors after his initial callup two seasons back has continued to show what that extra polish can do for a player, and he continues to improve this week in Velocity and Stamina. We've been using him as a starter so that stamina pop to 12 is actually very important. Isales triple pops in velocity, movement, and control. We really wanted him to work out better than he has this year, as he is so young that if we had found a 4th or 5th starter out of him he could've fit for 10+ seasons. However, he's still around a 7.00 era and his HR rate has blown up since his amateurs/minor days. We anticipated he'd not be the best at keeping the ball in the park, but it's really been beyond poor in comparison to what we expected (we'd estimated in 70 innings to have 10ish against, and he's all the way up at 16). Someones gonna go next season, might be him.

In the minors, Almanza gains in CoS and Control, he's a very fringe prospect though. Jimenez gains in CoS and stamina, he's far less fringe even with a questionable Hr rate unless he drops to 13 potential. Mcwhorter double pops in Velocity and CoS.
gFrie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Had a bit of a rough week at work so haven't been on more than a few times, but here is the abbreviated version. we signed and cut a draftee, not much to speak on there. maybe will take a chance again this week, or not. haven't decided. On roster moves, looking at veteran SP's out of necessity, the pen ends up in the end of series worn completely out with 2-3ip starts due to awful starts. I think the defense could be a bit better in spots. Next year we'll probably mix a few young and a few old SP's and focus more on finding quality veterans this offseason in FA/waivers.

Training Day 179

Silver gets a Pd bump, Malachi a BC jump, and thats it for the hitting in the majors. Trout gets a hitting in the minors, and gonzalo de la fuente gets a bc bump to complete the entirety of the hitting pops.

On the pitching swide of things, Castillo triple pops in movement, control, and fielding. Torres triple pops in CoS, Control, and fielding. Vazquez in the minors got his pops in Velocity and Stamina, he'll be on the way up again soon. Rutledge gains in CoS and control, Mota in CoS, Jimenez in Velocity, Mcwhorter in control, Sears in CoS, and Solano in stamina.

Updated Thursday, February 16 2023 @ 8:02:31 pm PST
gFrie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Still lots going on, but lets get back into the habit of writing these shall we?

Training day 193

Larry Mathew is now up to 91 SI, Power now at 14, and his range popped to 11. Noriega gained his 14th PD, and Delaney gained 13 in BC for the majors pops. Wolff is getting retrained as a 2B in the minors, Trout gained a fielding, Sullinger a PD, Kerr a PD and Fileding, and Lang a BC. Of note, Kerr is now at 105 SI with a 13 potential and is still not projected majors ready. I am thinking of bringing him up regardless once we reach the allstar game next season, he's good enough to play for my team now but more importantly by then he might be capped....

for pitching, Carrizales gains a control, Castillo triple pops in CoS, movement, and stamina. Torres gains a Control and Stamina pop to bring him to 99 SI to round out the majors pops.

In the minors, Rutledge gains a movement pop, Mcwhorter a stamina and fielding, solano a movement, and gaytan a control.

End of Season Evaluation

At this point we're well into our rebuild of the roster, and some things simply don't seem to be working as well as others in terms of positional work. The following players will likely be hitting FA at the end of the season.

Elmer McGee - Did not overcome his mediocre hitting as much as hoped. It's severly limited his power production to the point where the value simply isn't there on Plate Discipline alone, which was pretty solid still with the split between average and obp. We were hoping initially for the last hitting pop and maybe a consistent enough .250 average guy, .223 just wont work. We'd rather go find someone who can play better defense at the .700 ops value.

Kelvin Randall - 3 seasons here, and similar to other guys his 1 'great' attribute is really overshadowed by a lack of others. Needed to see a little more in the walks department, needed to see a little more in the HR power department. Looks like the HR power if he were to play against all opposition might be 10-15 HR power, and his on base percentge looks a lot closer to 30-40 walks a year on a 12-13 PD rating at it's end.

Roger Bowers - After a really good 2056, he followed it up with a 'mid' 2057 and a pretty poor 2058. He turns 30 and is mediocre defensively and offensively, so we might just go look for something that provides more. Particularly, we're disappointed in the falloff in his average this season more than anything, a .250 against lefties that honestly i thought would normally push .280-.300 given his hitting grade being in the middle of the very good rating.

Keith Delaney - Honestly i was keeping him mostly because of his draft status and his potential. However, i just don't see the value in a poor outfielder outside of CF perhaps, and i worry that his ending SI of 108-110 range might only net me a 13/16/11 CF. If i'm going to go weak in offense, i want to have more fielding that a projected 13.

Gilberto Barragan - Not finding enough opportunities, not pitching particularly well enough to stay in the game when he gets them. He was a 'grow in the majors project' type, and we're growing out of that.

In order to make these moves happen, we do need guys to come up and take their spots or to go out and sign more talent. Brady Wolff probably becomes a full time defensive depth infielder when we likely drop one of our aging defensive SS's. Me Trout will be age 25 next season as well, so those two have a great chance to be in the majors to start the season. Pitching wise, Charley Mattox appears to be slowing down on his SI gains now that he's at 108 SI in the minors. He'll also be 25. So my guess is he is about as good as he is going to get. We'll likely send Vazquez or Gobel into FA. Vazquez has control issues in both walks and HR's but occasionally flashes brilliance so we were thinking more short term K and get out of a jam type of guy, but his cup of tea this year was really bad HR wise. Gobel has no real pitches to get guys out, throws garbage and hopes the hitters cant recognize it. He might stay as the minor league 'floating injury' guy. The rest of the minors is likely too far out to help next season. Rutledge is the next closest, a reliever type that has decent numbers in the minors and projects relatively well to the majors. Almanza i don't like much, kept on just to see how HR's and minors ratios would look and....well not great.

We'll be searching for a good defensive infielder and a big veteran bat in the offseason to compliment our callup strategies, and see if we can't finally break through and back into the win column. We've gone from a -265 to a -187 to a -90 projected this season, so the growth is there, just needs a bit of help.

gFrie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Pullman 2059

Lineup Ideas:

Catcher: Dan Malachi is the go to. That is a bit by choice, and a bit by the waiver gods smiting us every time we tried to get a catcher. Of the 8 we went for, 2 were long shots, 2 were 7 and 8 claims, 1 was 4 claims, and 1 3, and 2 2's. Still likely to find a veteran that works, Malachi despite his age will get all of spring training to continue learning the position.

1B: Alfredo Marroquin coming off a great season last year is unlikely to lose his spot this season. has high fielding but low range and arm, so there aren't too many spots to put him otherwise outside of DH.

2B: Piero Costantini is a free agent we swooped up after having luck similar to the catcher scenario. We did not lose a lot of 2 and 3 claim targets here, we took bigger chances and failed though. His numbers in limited action of his career have been ok, and while not the best defensive 2B in terms of range at this point in his career, he does still have a plus glove to limit the errors.

3B: Munenori Yamada will retain his starting position. There isn't a lot of backup here, so we'll be needing either Malachi to sub in occasionally, or we'll need to find a FA to help fill the voice for games Yamada can't play.

SS: Hitoshi Tatsuya is a defensive rock, and will regardless of OPS likely get the nod the entire season.

Backup infielders - Currently, we have defensive Specialist Brady Wolff, but there are some targets we hope to hit on to secure some strength at 3B before we head into the regular season.

OF's:

Juan Carlos Fernandez - Veteran signed with hopes of providing some offense from a corner OF position. Most likely a vLHP bat, but could shift into both spots.

Larry Mathew - vRHP bat, less about defensive skill and more about offensive production potential.

Nathan Silver - vRHP bat, similar to Mathew but glove is better and arm is worse

Caesar Norriega - CF that likely can see time against either lineup because of plus defensive capabilities.

Mel Trout - vLHP bat, we want to give him ample playing time if poissible this season so expect some vRHP AB's as well.

Sung Ho Park - another vLHP bat, less likely to make it long term but again want to give him some AB's to showcase his abilities and grow a bit.

These 6, plus 1B Lemond Brandon, are likely to split the 3 OF and 1 DH spot throughout the year, with matchups against starters likely to determine some of that lineup. OF Keith Delaney is unlikely to see much playing time going forward and is first in line to be cut as his hitting simply isn't good enough to make use of the power and other attributes.

gFrie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Pitching Setup

#1 - Jerry Myers - Long term Council Bluffs pitcher who is starting to fall off more rapidly this season, but we're hoping he has enough left in the tank to stabilize the rotation. In most seasons, the HR rate is acceptable, and overall it's been in a higher league that VI. Hoping for a continuation of what he's done for most of his career, with the falloff the last two seasons in skills and the falloff in competition cancelling.

#2 - Charlie Mattox - He's finally back out of the minors. He was thought to be damaged goods a few years back by some fans and team officials, but has worked tirelessly to come back up through the minors with great numbers at each level. at 25 he's got a chance to prove that he has what it takes once again after not seeing the majors in almost 3 seasons.

#3 - RJ Clough - Regressed a small amount last season. However, he is now not counted on in the same capacity as he has been for the team, which has mostly been in the veteran role of a young staff. He's now a #3, and has 2 veterans helping anchor the rotation around him.

#4 - Bartolome Bustos - Most recently a Rohnert Park Rebel and prior to that a long tenured Cedar Park Raider, Bustos is also starting to fall off in the later stages of his career. Like Myers, it's all about whether or not he can hold onto some of that form while dropping down another level from where he was last year. If he can, the Pioneers will be above .500

#5 - Marcelo Torres - Now at full build, the expectation is that he gets closer to the 1.3xx whip number and also stabilizes a bit more in the ERA department. Expectations are around a 4.50 era with a .500 record. Getting that out of the #5 would be a major bonus.

LR - Travis Lancaster - While he doesn't necessarily have the best scouting report on the team, Lancaster's performance last season is worthy of bringing him back. Most situations where Lancaster will be entering the game involve games out of hand and hopefully keeping them close enough for recover, so if he can continue this level of performance it'd be helpful.

LR2 - Matias Carrizales - Carrizales is less experienced in the majors, and he needs some development time to hit maximum build. The expectations are that he has the same entry as Lancaster, but when Lancaster is fatigued. Development is the key part of Carrizales future on the team, the sooner the better for us.

MR - Joaquin Molina - one of the rocks of our pen the last two years He's been preventing runners and he handed quite a few games to the closer (who when we worked without a setup ended up closing games).

MR2 - Niko Horvat - from a rock of a player since he reemerged from a minors stint to a guy who was literally unable to perform in the minors he was so underdeveloped, Niko Horvat has come a long way from the single digit skills across the board in 2056. He is now a perfectly fine complement to Molina, making the tandem one of the strongest in the conference last year.

LHS - Stephan Shuler - A rocky 2057 gives way to a great 2058. Shuler honestly can put together a season similar to his first 13 innings in 2056 and we're good

SU1 - Alfonso Barragan - Statistically not as good as the middle relievers, but last year's HR rate was seemingly an anomaly. If not, we'll have to do some rearranging of the pen.

SU2 - Miguel Vazquez - A rookie who will get a handful of chances at most to prove himself this season. If he continues the same HR rate, a veteran will be picked up and we'll try to find a better solution for the future at a later date.

Closer - Harvey Barnes - The 2057 campaign was really rough, the 2058 was much better, and more comparable to the 2056 work. 2059 needs to be like the 2058 or 2056 campaigns to keep his spot here.

gFrie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Training Notes Thru Week 2 of season 4

Lemond Brandon gets stronger at hitting and is now at a 13. He has the build capable of being a DH, but we've been struggling to get him playing time. He could also play 1B given his solid fielding. We may bring him into both lineups in full shortly to see if we cant get him towards 92-93 SI this season and maybe near his cap by the end of next season (99-101), but i find the balance of competing and getting underdeveloped guys training time difficult in year 4. Malachi at age 29 gets to 106 SI, and is still the main player at catcher. He has the ability to still play at 3B but we have others who can also fill that role. Mel Trout is now up to 14 bat control, and is looking like a solid vLHP option going forward even though the early going has had limited chances to face off against lefties. Miguel Vazquez was the only majors pop on the pitching side, and he popped in stamina which isn't really what we care for given his lack of high control makes him too weak as a starter.

In the minors, Raymond Sullinger gets to 11 power. His hitting still looks pretty borderline to make it in the majors, so we'll hope for some more pops there as soon as possible. Morris Kerr reaches 14 plate discipline, and is up to 107 SI in the minors. He has a potential cap that is now up to 14 rather than at 13 like it was last year, so he wont threaten to cap in the minors, but we will see how much my patience gets tested this season with waiting for that promotion request on the minors page. Stan Lang improves in power, he's more of a depth player for us at this point. Gonzalo De La Fuente gains in bat control and fielding, and is kinda similar to Stan Lang in the sense that he is there for depth until we get more talent in via the draft and waivers. In the pitching side of the minors, Gobel continues improving in areas such as control this week, so we might give him a look again in the majors down the road. Geraldo Castillo is in the same boat there, gaining in movement and in control. Mateo Jimenez is the first non-ready pitcher on the training list, improving in velocity. Mcwhorter also gains in velocity and control, and parsons in CoS to round out some of the closer-to-ready player group. Rudy Gayton and Benito Silva also gain in CoS/Stamina and movement respectively.

Drafts week 1 and 2

Shannon Green - while he has limited power potential, he looks like a solid OBP threat against lefties. We'll consider training him in 2B short term to get that solidified before moving to 1B and OF as the secondary spots. The defense is slightly below what i have started to align with at 2B, i'd prefer to be 1 or 2 points higher in range, but if his offense gets strong i wont complain about him there.

Benito Silva - this draft pick looks a lot more fringe, with higher range/arm and lower potential. We'll give it most of this season given we have 1 or 2 others in similarly depth spots that are too old to likely show added potential, but this was not what we were hoping for in the 2nd round.

Team Standings

This year we've been generating close to 8 runs per game and we've gone down from 5.2 to 5.0 runs allowed at the super early point in the year. The lineup is stronger this year, and so is the rotation in my opinion. So while we don't expect to be maintaining the offensive strength that we've started the season with, it should likely be north of 5 runs per game for the year, and we are hopeful that improved defensive strength with veterans and 1 or 2 good veteran arms will be enough to give us the edge to promote in what seems to be one of the weaker western conference we've been in for a few seasons.
gFrie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Rough month on the IRL side, time to try to get back into writings these weekly, now less about training and more about how the roster decisions are being made since we're finally winning some games!

Standings

We're 14-1 in the 15 games since the all-star break, and have been piecing it together most of the way given a few rotation injuries have occured. Our pitching has dropped the era's dramatically over the last few weeks, which is the reason for the increase in the win column. We let go of some of the veterans we brought in to stabilize the rotation, and realized that we had a lot of what we needed all along. Geraldo Castillo in 5 games since returning from the minors is 2-0 with a 3.73 era and a 2.75 fip, with an average appearance lasting just over 6 innings. Alec Gobel returned earlier in the campaign and in 10 starts has a 3-0 record with 6 quality starts, a 3.33 era and 3.69 fip. He has also pushed about 6 and 2/3 innings per start. The team is a bit above the league average defensively, and really the only area that has seen some struggles from game to game are the bats. We have below average power and speed, and we strike out a lot as a team, so we're probably going to have to fix a spot or two on the lineup card going forward.

Transactions

Ryota Bessho - 6 claims - a necessity signing for the team. there weren't any real options that we felt comfortable with left in the minors given a lot of that depth took over for underachieving veterans and we got hit with a 2 week injury on a starter. If he can cover another series with great production it might push Mattox into the pen when he returns as a long reliever.

Morris Kerr - promotion - he was brought up by former management well before he was ready. he made it all the way to 110 SI before being deemed ready to go by the minor league staff, and he's been producing well since returning to the big club for the first time in a few seasons.

Matias Carrizales - released - tried to give him some low-impact innings, but he ended up playing in higher leverage situations and poorly, so while i won't be shocked to see someone else make better use of him, at some point we just had to look elsewhere for better numbers.

Keith Delaney - released - without a good average and a solid amount of walks, it was too difficult to project him as a starter.

a handful of other signings and releases have occured, but most have been cups of tea to see if the player still had something.

The team has a handful of decent prospects working their way up the farm and developing well, so there is some chance to see some more reinforcements before the end of the season from within the organization rather than reaching out for some veteran stability.

Previous Page | Show All |