Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Old Players   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
I think the message was to not rush your minor league guys up to the majors too soon. He seems to think leaving them in the minors until they gain a few more SI after they get the "recommended for the majors" suggestion is the best way to develop talent.

In the interim you can fill gaps in your lineup or get the depth necessary for that development in the minors by bringing in aging talent, if you have the money to do so.

I signed Viciedo on a single season deal and have been very happy with him. Only had to pay him the league minimum and he seems like a nice addition to my pitching staff.
rlawrence

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hmmm ... i thought If the game suggests promoting a player, to leave them at a lower level actually hurts their growth?

That's what the manual says. Is that wrong?
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Just because a player at AAA has the "may have learned all he can at this level of competition" comment doesn't necessarily mean they will stop gaining SI in AAA. Those gains may or may not slow down, but my several years of experience indicates most are perfectly able to continue gaining SI in AAA, up to age 26 or so.

Edit: Jeebus. This summer will mark four years. Where has the time gone?

Updated Tuesday, February 18 2020 @ 5:22:24 pm PST
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
IMO when a player gets the rec he should be moved to the majors and played immediately for best results.

I only leave them down if they will not get any playing time at all or if they are still position fielding training to better learn a new position.

I do not at all subscribe to the theory that they should be left down to gain a few more points.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow. Freddy's opinion certainly contrasts with mine. But heh, that's the joy of this game: many different viewpoints from people who've been around a while.
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I have no problem leaving players down a little longer if I don't think they will see a lot of playing time. I also will keep someone down if they are recommended but their SI total seems low for the majors.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
There is fuzziness in the AI recommendations. They aren't spot on. If you think they are recommended too early, it doesn't hurt to leave them down. On the flip side, you could promote a player sooner then recommended if you think the AI is dragging its feet. Its generally advised to follow the recommendation until you get a better feel for promotion/demotion. But I would agree that it doesn't hurt to keep a guy down for a few extra weeks if you are absolutely not going to be playing him in the majors. If you will be getting him even a few ABs/BFed, its probably worth bringing them up (if you believe the recommendation).

I personally feel the recommender is more aggressive than in the past, so I'm more distrusting now.

Updated Tuesday, February 18 2020 @ 6:33:33 pm PST
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@lostraven I don't disagree with what you said. I just feel that for a players "best results" he should move up and play ASAP.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm somewhere between the two - if someone comes up its for a full training week, but if the results aren't there and I need that spot for someone else I'll happily bump them back down - have had success doing that with guys for up to three seasons. Fair to say I've had 'non-success' also.....
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Burrell is a good example. The AI wanted him up from the start of 2042. But he was horrible. I put him back down in 2042, and he gained 5 SI that year. Then in 2043 I kept him on the major league roster, but he sat the bench for much of the year. With only 216 ABs, he gained 3 SI. He is finally starting to become a passable player this year (2 full years after the AI recommendation).

Previous Page | Show All |