Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Scouting Reports   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd love to call in my scouts (or have the game author) to explain "can be a ______". Specifically, under what conditions can/will player x achieve the level forecast:

1 If player X is trained under a manager with 3 10's for teaching and there is no focus on specific skills reported?

or

2 If player X trains in optimal conditions: 20 manager skills with focus on the players strong skill set?

btw, experienced team owners comments/explanations are most welcome on this topic. Thank you in advance.

Updated Sunday, February 9 2020 @ 9:03:50 am PST
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
The scouting report reflects the player's estimated maximum talent. The reports pre-date the manager's impact on training, so they aren't designed with any level of manager skill in mind. It's simply what the player should be capable of if they hit their max.

There's an important wrinkle in this in that all of it is fuzzy. The scouting reports can be incorrect and a player's true maximum skill level could be more or less than what they predict, although it's usually in the ballpark.

Finally, I want to note that there's a chance a player might never hit their max even if you handle them perfectly. If the player is raw for his age when drafted and develops slowly, he simply may not be able to get enough training in the minors before hitting the age limit on training. I believe Gaytan is one such player, but fortunately he's still been a solid performer for me.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
These are the ranges you can expect for each report. They don't always hit them exactly, but most of the time they will fall in around there.

Conan is a good example of a guy falling short of his Power range. But I suspect that is due to Conan being under-rated (fuzziness).
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
thanks for the response...

so indeed, the scout reports predict using optimal conditions and failure to realize indicates poor management (btw such was my experience in athletics and business -- most talent is underutilized/wasted)

and thanks for the scout reports/skill level index; I must confess I've seen/relied on it already...indeed the author should be put in the Broken Bat Hall of Fame for that alone although the rest of his body of contributions make him first among equals with the game scientists
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Lol, thanks for the HoF vote :)

Actually player frequently fail to reach their peak even with optimal management. Some guys just can't grow at the rate the scouts assumed. So its not always do to poor management. Although poor management can definitely stunt a player, sometimes players stunt regardless of management.

And by poor management, I mean promoting a guy before he is ready. I don't think you need a manager with high dev skill to fully develop players. You might just get them developed a little faster. My manager has a Dev skill of 16, and I still have lots of guys stunt. I've seen teams with Dev skill of 10 with no stunted youths. So its more about the player than the manager.

Updated Monday, February 10 2020 @ 9:53:53 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All |