Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Make a choice   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Iā€™m also in the minority it appears. I would take high PD when given the choice because walks are higher
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Somewhat less of a minority now - I also favour PD, and that goes back to the beginning for me.

My rookie season was 2026, and I trotted out Parisi, Fuentes andZuniga. On the other hand, the player who should have topped them all - Burton - never delivered.

For the BC guys, Fletcher and Hampton weren't/aren't power hitters, but the results while decent haven't been overwhelming. Again, on the other hand, the best player in franchise history had no PD and drew a walk less than once every five games. I find it very interesting that Ortiz's batting profile almost perfectly matches 2037 Legends MVP Mongo: Ortiz couldn't match Kirk's power output and flyball numbers, but his batting average stands up as better (even allowing for how hard Legends is).

So each player is different. But as a general rule, its PD every time for me.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Part of the reason I value BC higher is because I have no idea what role it plays in the game. Its very hard to figure out what the difference is between Hitting and Bat Control when you read through the manual. I know exactly what PD is, and I know exactly what to expect from a player with low PD. I've had lots of players with high Hitting, BC, and PD still turn out to be total flops, so the anecdotal evidence isn't really convincing to me.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Also to me SF > K > DP when hitting. PD will save you the K, but low BC may cost you a DP.
Garnash1970

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I like the idea of putting as much pressure on my opponent as possible; therefore lots of base-runners is good.

PD high - BC don't care
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
It's an interesting question. Not entirely fair. :) For me it depends on where the batter is in the batting order.

Marino is occasionally the most dangerous lead-off hitter in his league. If his PD and BC were switched he would be pretty bad at that job. Larson is the most accomplished minor league basastealer in Dino history, but hasn't been able to crack the majors b/c his BC-PD doesn't suit this role.

In the 4 hole you are better off with a guy like Kirk. Put the ball in play. Drive the BBs in.

You really need a balance. Having your clean up hitter walk with runners on 2nd and 3rd is detrimental as often as not in BrokenBat.

All that said, I've become pretty cynical of both scouting comments and player skills. I linked Kirk above. He's 19-16-8-14. On my team I have DeJesus. He's 19-12-8-15. That's +4 BC, -1 PW for Kirk. Last season Kirk had a .949 OPS. DeJesus had .582. Player skills just aren't as strong an indicator as they seem.

If it's an established player, you are far better off looking at their accumulated stats than their skills or scouting. If its a young player that meets thresholds I feel obligated to play him (and suffer through 2-3 seasons of misery) regardless of his PD / BC or other details. Even then I am looking more at minor stats as an indicator than player skills.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Totally agree. I have lots of bums who look great on paper, and play horribly (and all halflings are stunted as a general rule ;)). I agree that stats are probably the stronger indicator. The tricky part is understanding what they mean and what to look for depending on what level the player is playing at.
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
But halflings are awful quick šŸ˜‰
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Interestingly the team has gotten a lot quicker since I changed the name :O
Jwrose

Parma Dodgers