Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Shockingly good pick for Round 6. Wow.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow, that IS a good pick. Mind you, I landed a 14 POT 2B in the 6th round last season.

I got a pitcher with a great report this time, and although he turned out to be just a 12 POT his numbers all look good, so he may stick. I think he has a better chance than the 13 POT I took last round. Someone has to go.

Updated Friday, June 15 2018 @ 6:57:46 am PDT
ephenssta

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Not an immediate C&R, but probably someone who will be an early cut the second I need more roster spaces.

http://brokenbat.org/player/178778

12 pot with a "decent slugger" tag and a negative fielding comment, but a whole lot of SI in speed, range, and arm. If he performs well enough, he might find a home in CF but I'm not sure he'll have enough of a bat to be anything more than a backup/platoon player.
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's been an up and down season to say the least.

This morning was an up - and incredibly lucky - moment.

Héctor Ontiveros

The only downside being that he's a 21 year old rookie which doesn't bode well. We'll also have to see how he develops. But, if he does, he's the 2nd best pitcher I ever drafted and 3rd best player overall.

For the 6th round? Way more than I expected.

Raino

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/178803

Might have to convert him to a different position
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Went latin, a couple of good potential, 1 with attractive report (for a 6th round): 10 pot useless pick.

Worst draft of my career.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Your draft has been better than mine, but I suppose that is just a truism now :(
Lacisum Utama

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Any tips for someone new to drafting? I have done a few guys mainly based on age/position needs normally just choose the all function instead of an asian or latin. not sure if that works too. Can you refresh and theres new guys listed?
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
You can't refresh. What you see is what you get for the week.

I'm not fond of "any player". I think there can be a fair bit of strategy to pool selection. Late in the draft it probably doesn't matter as much. Chances of finding a good player anywhere are reduced.

There are lots of threads around on draft strategy. Late in the season there are a couple schools of thought.
- draft from a pool with young players (primarily high school). Players drafted late miss almost a full season of training compared to those drafted early. Younger players can often cope with this better.
- draft from a pool that has been overlooked and has better players remaining. Often this is Latin as many managers view this as a high risk pool. But could also be college (if the majority of managers are conning HS).

A piece of advice is to keep an eye on the number of pitchers in your system. If you just took over the team, you may be going through a big rebuild. Once through that the job of the minors is to give a steady stream of talent. I've found it easier to fill position holes through waivers / free agency than to find quality pitching (pitchers are more likely discarded for a reason). The rule of thumb I try to follow is to keep ~2 pitchers per level.

I'm not suggesting you take fliers on pitchers in your draft over obvious position player picks. Just keep an eye. There are 12 pot guys with upside on waivers you can land that will maintain your pitching depth. 3 of 8 pitchers in my minors are those kind of players (Scholz, Correa, Kiyohara).
Lacisum Utama

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow that breaks it down well! Thank you! Ive been lucky. Just missed out on promotion my first season and now looking to gain ground this season and get back towards the top. Changed managers. Released a bunch of old guys and went to FA originally but now looking at drafting. I have a backlog of talent I feel and looking to improve it. Already have a few POT 15/14 guys on the majors trying to build around that and get as much bang as i can in the drafts. Will do more research but you gave me a great start!

Previous Page | Show All |