Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Roster Moves   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, I'm 50/50 and I need a cut. Don't know that either of these guys ever make it to the majors with me, but does anybody think one of these is better than the other? Don't need to be carrying both and I'm back-and-forthing on them:

Nanni

Lake
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah I don't see either of them being long term pieces for you. Nanni is the easier cut based on being a right hitter. Neither are really bad, but this is the historic Novi farm system we're talking about!
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Not to mention our apparent obsession with acquiring 1B's the past few seasons :)
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah I think Id drop Nanni too.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
He just needed a little nudge. Lake probably follows not long after.
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
V.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey y'all,

I am wondering if I can get your thoughts/advise on which INF you would cut. I have been worried because I didn't have any 2b/ss prospects in the minors at all until recently. So I have been trying out a few. Now I have too many, yet all seem to have merits and yet none are perfect. This makes for a tough decision. Let me hear your thoughts.

A little context and insight on my process/madness:

I need both a 2b and a ss from this group (unless I finally get that perfect 15 pot SS of my dreams in next season's draft). I have adequate 26 year olds in the Majors already (Gomez and Banda), so I am looking for prospects that are 4-5 years out from The Show, though I will need a back-up INF in the Majors in 1-2 years.

My ideal INF builds emphasize range, then fielding, then arm. I am willing to sacrifice some glove for some hitting and I usually prefer good OBP to power. I gently lean towards PD over BC, but mainly need to see results of each in the stats. I definitely will sacrifice points in speed for either fielding or hitting. When I evaluate players I consider stats as well as the build.

The candidates are:

Schaefer -- 23yo in Majors now. 13pot with nice fielding skills. Can play 2B too (1.6). But no hitting report, though already at 10 and not too bad OBP in minors. A good back-up for now?.

Moran -- 13 pot is my most recent addition to the logjam. Maybe my ideal field skills for SS, but has only 0.4 training there and is done at AAA. Too much speed, but at least uses it some.

McLaughlin -- fully cooked at 2B, zero SS, but 1.2 at OF which is a plus. Nice 12 pot.

Lee -- My 1st rd pick (so salary won't balloon as badly for what it is worth -- not much b/c I have good bank). The weakest fielder of these candidates, but scouted with great hitting. Barely has any training at any position (1.0 at 2B).

Aragon -- a draft pick this year. Interesting 11 pot/above avg. Doesn't waste SI on speed or arm, but then might be limited to 2B. The big hit on him is that he has no hitting report (yikes!), but is already at 10 and look at his stats!! He raked in Latin league (yeah, I know Latin has inflated hitting stats) and now in AA, pretty nice GB/FB rate. He might be one of those cases where a player really out plays his build -- I believe that we get to see a build, but there is a hidden range that the player has within meeting those skills and might either significantly under or over perform to them.

Hammond -- 1.4 at 2B and 0.8 at SS (where I am having him play). He is young enough to be proficient at either, yet still in A as a 20yo (missed 1+ seasons waiting for some fool to pick him up). As low a range as I would go for a SS. Maybe the only one that could train enough in SS other than Schaefer, which is probably why I have held onto him. Poor OBP, but good GB/FB rate at least. Switch hit is nice.

Updated Monday, March 29 2021 @ 1:42:58 pm PDT

Updated Monday, March 29 2021 @ 2:33:23 pm PDT
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Nice write up. (your link for Lee is broken FYI)

Of those you've listed, the last two seem like long shot gambles who will sit on your roster a long time and may well not turn out. The rest all have either more going for them, or fewer negatives about their build.
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
V.2

Broken Bat Baseball
thx JJNZ. GL today on the big series!
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Of this group, Hollywood is the only guy I would regard as a good SS candidate, and I think McLaughlin looks like a decent 2B candidate.

My organization is in a similar boat, in that we're having to find some middle infield players out of a group of imperfect fit.

I'm not sure what to think of Lee, but he's definitely worth keeping around to see how he develops. He may end up being the best offensive player of the group, even if his discipline is not the best.
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with the above, the only thing that I'd add is I think Hammond is worth keeping around for a 2B vs LHP. his splits seem to indicate that he may really eat them up and could be a good platoon mate for another 2B

Previous Page | Show All |