Help

Forum >> Help >> Pitching Issues - Can anything be done?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
JV-Tosshin

Biloxi Thresher Sharks
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
I mean, I can only say that I agree that Figueroa and McGrath are first on the block when I get something better, and that apart from Bishop, probably the rest are overperforming a bit. It's just everyone collapsed at the same time. Apart from my closer, who's 10 out of 10 for saves, so that's good at least.

But yeah, I want to change things, it's just not easy to find good replacements. And I admit it probably doesn't help that while I like baseball, I know very little about the technicalities (There's 6 baseball teams in my country, total, and none of them are more than like 10 years old. Baseball isn't a thing here)

All I could really tell was that Bishop and Paredes were the best I had alongside possibly Castaneda, who's getting old as well.

But thanks for the analysis; if I at least can hold the team close to 500 it'll already be a massive improvement, because this team's had one winning season in like the last 15. Run differential in the last 10 is approaching -2000. Frankly, the turnaround is probably already okay. I just couldn't figure out what in blazes my pitchers were doing.
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
There's no management settings to turn bad players into good players, unfortunately. This is a longer term game of incremental improvements. Check the waiver wire, sign free agents, and draft new players with an eye towards making improvements wherever you can. Be patient but active.
Sistag

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Not that i'm in position to talk too much, but as someone who watches over teams in my league, i would say that Biloxi's issues in pitching are two fold.

Home Runs - While you are 3rd best in the east in terms of giving up home runs, you are 9th out of 12 if you include the west. The west has 3 teams with a lower than 10 inning to HR ratio.

Fargo - 9.63
Cleveland - 11.64
Makakilo - 10.90
Sitka - 9.23
East STL - 10.83
Carson City - 9.22

Myself - 12.71
South Brunswick - 7.03
Bangor - 9.75
You - 8.35
Lewiston - 5.82
Fort Pierce - 7.63

Some of it has to do with park, my quick check is normally to compare homeruns for versus homeruns against to determine whether or not a team is benefiting from a park of from pitching.

I'd also say that while it does nothing to prevent people from giving up home runs, your fielding at 2B is probably hampering your ability to defend properly until he gets positional improvements.

Search for some guys behind in development at 23-26 with reasonable caps and good HR rates, and give them some chances. you can afford to do it while position training, and there enough out there to give a shot to to replace a few of you pitchers.
JV-Tosshin

Biloxi Thresher Sharks
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
I mean, I wasn't under the illusion that I'd taken over a good team, so I know I need to can quite a few of these guys when I get better replacements.

But part of my questions was also: Can I do anything when everyone I have with the stamina for starting just goes cold and dead on arrival? Does shifting the pitching up actually work, or do I just have to wait and hope?

Because in the first match today... Like, Bishop is, as far as I can tell, my best pitcher, and he is so cold he surrenders 4 runs and loads the bases with no out by the 3rd inning. Has been "very cold" since Spring Training.

Sure, my bats are wildly inconsistent, and my best batters spent all game flopping like fish out of water, and that clearly doesn't help, but the pitching just gives up immediately. I know I probably have a below average VI team, but my opponent there is also that. Like, I don't even know. A lot of them are bad, sure, but can I do anything when they're all going cold simultaneously, or is it just misery for a few weeks?

Updated Tuesday, December 22 2020 @ 3:42:04 pm PST
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
To answer your specific question, no, I do not believe you can do anything if all your pitchers suck. I know some owners sit players on a cold streak -- I usually don't -- but if you don't have anyone pitching better then you're stuck until you can replace your bad players with better ones.

There may be some margins to tweak your settings a bit. Maybe you can reduce the pitch count if they're mostly getting blown out late, or lower the hook if they just lose it occasionally. But you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, as they say, and none of these will turn a bad pitcher into a good one.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Unfortunately Starters have limits too what you can do in the management settings. But at the very least you can give them a hook of 5 and a 75 pitch count to limit their damage.

Also, there are probably a few good pitchers who slipped past waivers and are sitting on FA. Always a few good guys on waivers as well.
Sistag

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The player you picked up is an example of what happens with a bad home run rate in my opinion

http://brokenbat.org/player/202558

220/51 = not the best rate

Example of mediocre FA's that i'd take over higher potential players

http://brokenbat.org/player/241412/M

http://brokenbat.org/player/218967

and those are just free agents. i think you could find better than both with a quick thumb through waivers and get slightly more long term use out of those, but look for the better HR reduction guys
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It looks like Flores is back on the market. He'd probably make a decent Starter for you.
JV-Tosshin

Biloxi Thresher Sharks
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, a lot of tinkering going on. Pedraza had a very small sample size for this season, so was hoping I could make it work, but might have to ditch it. On the lookout a lot, so probably a lot of change coming. Willing to test stuff out to find something that works with this, because somehow I've gotten the offense and the fielding to sort of work now. It's the Pitching letting me down. And maybe the order of the batters, but that's a work in progress.

I appreciate the scouting tips. Might give Pedraza a shot in the Bullpen and shift Schaeffer into a starting role again. He seems to do better than he should do, being old and slow, but I'm not gonna knock it if it works.

It makes for entertaining matches at least. You're never quite sure if my pitching is gonna show up or collapse spectacularly in the 2nd Inning (As they did earlier today), so must be exciting for neutral spectators.
durhambulls

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
i need some good pitchers, where do i find them

Previous Page | Show All |