Help

Forum >> Help >> Advice   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
envican

Hartford Bears
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
If anyone has time on their hands I'd love for someone to give my team a quick look through and tell me how to improve it. My pitching is pretty mediocre I know but I'm getting really close to just quitting because the game is losing its fun since nothing I do seems to work.
CR35

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I looked at your team's stats. I saw that your team gives up 1.33 HR/9, which is probably hurting your team. That is also the highest HR/9 among the teams in your division. Your pitching also has the worst WHIP in the division as well. After looking at your stats, I looked at Rodrigo Olivarez. He has a HR/9 of 2.14 this season, which is very bad.

I recommend looking for some veteran pitchers with a HR/9 under 1.00 and with a WHIP of 1.399 or lower. I also recommend working with pitch counts and hooks and see if that helps to improve the team.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I would agree. Too many HRs. Ontiveros isn't too hot either. 2045 was great, but maybe an anomaly. Unclear if Langdon has much upside; definitely a punching bag right now. Shifting a few of your punching bags would help out a lot.

Kemp has no business at Catcher. He has a noodle arm, and it shows in his CS%. Teams are running at will against you. A single puts a player in scoring position... You'd be better off with Seymour at Catcher. I would find ANYONE on FA with an 18+ arm and stick them at Catcher. Maybe put a claim on Yamamoto or Tyree. Get Kemp out of the position. He is only good for DH.

The overall range of your middle infielders is a bit low. That means they are going let more balls drop in for hits. This will hurt your defense (and your pitching). Probably not a quick fix, but something to focus on in the future.

Updated Tuesday, October 6 2020 @ 4:57:33 pm PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Ya, that's good advice from CR35. Grapevine is last in their division in HRs allowed. That is a heavy load to carry.

First thing you should look at when evaluating a P (majors, minors, free agent) is HRs allowed. Anyone who gives up more than 1 per 9 IP needs very good skills (particularly velocity) to keep their WHIP down.

(Guys with high movement seem to have a better chance keeping the ball in the park, but I'm quite convinced there is a hidden trait that affects it.)

Other than that, you have a good idea on offense and defense. Looks like you tried to get Rios prepped to play OF. I'd probably gut him out in LF, move Loera and his cannon arm to RF, and make Sanchez the DH.

That's pretty minor tho. Evaluating P more effectively is the real key moving forward.

Updated Tuesday, October 6 2020 @ 4:39:11 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Lefties and Velocity guys do have a tendency to give up more (Register is no exception). But there are definitely other factors. On paper Ontiveros looks like he should do well with HRs, but history (other than 45') says otherwise. It's a good idea to monitor the HR/9 ratio of guys.

You might also want to think a bit about your ballpark next off season. Your corner OFs have low range (like mine), and most of your HR hitters (except Kemp) hit the ball up in the air (like mine). So I usually keep a smaller ball park with higher walls. Something to consider. Pulling the lines in will mean your low OF ranges hurt less, and the higher walls will keep the line drive HRs down without hurting your low GB/FB power hitters. It might hurt Kemp a little, but he isn't your future; it will probably help the other guys.

Updated Tuesday, October 6 2020 @ 4:57:17 pm PDT
envican

Hartford Bears
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for taking the time to look my team over and give me the advice guys, I'm going to do some tweaking and try to find some veteran pitchers and see if they can be a bandaid until some of my minor leaguers are ready!

Previous Page | Show All |