II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
link for replacements algorithm

This may help a little.
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
1- Walks are not considered at bats. (Nor are sacrifice hits--so a walk with bases loaded earns an RBI, as does a sac fly or bunt to bring in a run)
Amhaja

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you.
I didn't realise bb are then not considered at bat. Bit strange cos I thought that was a skill in itself, hence plate discipline.

Thanks for the link re slugging - I'll get there eventually! Following baseball, you need a degree in mathematical statistics!! (Which I quite like!!)

Ok I'll try that with substitutions. My mistake. Cheers

Updated Wednesday, August 5 2020 @ 3:13:09 pm PDT

Updated Wednesday, August 5 2020 @ 3:17:39 pm PDT
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Baseball is a great game for nerds to follow. When we run out of stats to analyze, we just invent new stats! ^.~
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
One of the complications with baseball statistics is that some of them are quite old, and they may reflect the philosophies of the game at the time they were created and/or popularized. So drawing a walk (or geting hit by a pitch) is not considered an "at bat" even though OBP is hugely valuable skill.

This also explains why the rules for assigning pitcher wins are kind of esoteric.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This is also why most of us look at OBP instead of AVE. AVE is the fun stat everyone remembers looking at on the back of baseball cards. But OBP is much more useful than AVE.

OBP is basically the same as AVE except walks are counted.
Amhaja

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ha ha thanks guys!!
Amhaja

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Interesting analysis of east division team stats
Last night I was trying to see if I could find what makes Deerfield a cut above the rest....
Interestingly, he is only top in one stat - 2B hits - which doesn't seem like the key stat. And I was second in that stat so clearly not the most important one.
I found one stat in pitching that correlates that rank with the league position rank - BB. So that might be something I need to improve - just got to figure out how I reduce the number of players that walk when I'm pitching🤔🤔🤔
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Most of the magic for DFB seems to be in the pitching and defense. The offense isn’t that great.

If you’re looking for a single stat to accurately correlate to which team is ranked where in the standings, there’s no one single answer that’s going to be a proverbial magic bullet; current correlation of walks to rank is just a fluke. There are just too many variables at play.

(Actually, there was a brief discussion on Discord a few nights ago about DFB’s success. My current tentative theory is that the current meta is more or less playing to my team’s strengths…?)
Amhaja

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Great thanks; I guess that makes sense - but I was just trying to see if there was a magic bullet like there often is in these games!! :)

Previous Page | Show All |