Help

Forum >> Help >> FIP   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Pitching. Pitching, pitching, pitching. Building a decent pitching staff is like an art form in this game. I have numerous pitchers I've been working on for over a year of real time...pouring over stats, watching the games playout, etc. I have a few pitchers who started out real well, but recently they seem to hit a wall. Who to give up on and finally cut?? It's hard to let some players go, lo! Particularly when they still have a little growth left. So just how important is FIP, to most experienced managers? If I got a guy whose on the fence as to whether or not I should cut him, and he's carrying a 4.50 ERA with a FIP of 6.50 for instance? Or the flip side, I got a pitcher with a 7.00 ERA and a FIP of 3.50 in 50 innings played? Should I keep him? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
You can fix ERA with better defenders. You can't "fix" a high FIP.

That said, it's too early to give up on Villanueva. He's got a ways to grow and imo, it takes a pitcher a couple of seasons to get going.

Who's the other guy? Ricci? Good HR rate, groundball pitcher. Your defense isn't bad, but it is severely lacking in range in SS and 2B, which are plus positions in that category.

How about Vigil at 2B full-time, Panja and Arias platooning at 1B and please send Heaton back down! You'll stunt his growth bringing him up early. Where is reads "overmatched at this level" will someday read "learned all he can" and even then, I'd leave him down for a few more weeks to squeeze every last drop of training out of him. Dude is going to be your star, make sure he can develop into one!
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Much thanks dude!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think FIP is overrated. It doesn't tell you anything about how many hits the guy gives up. I think its more helpful to look at things like WHIP, H/IP, BB/IP, K/IP, HR/IP and GB/FB.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree that FIP is slightly overrated here because the formula is derived from MLB numbers, not Broken Bat's. The importance of each contributing factor is surely different here.

However, I still consider FIP to be a slightly better determinant than WHIP. FIP weighs in on HR, BB and K's. Like all stats, nothing should be considered on its own. You've got to look at the whole picture.

I also agree there's no way you should be giving up on Villanueva. His BAA is frightening at the moment, but it was .241 in the minors. Things should improve for him, hopefully, for your sake, to an acceptable level.

Updated Wednesday, February 19 2020 @ 9:46:27 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All |