Help

Forum >> Help >> Young players and scouting report   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
rlawrence

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey all. Fantastic looking game you have here, very much up my alley.

So I'm looking at an old team and need to get some prospects training right away. My big question is about the scouting report on each player page (not the numbers but the verbage).
a. Is it reliable?
b. Does it change as players train up?
C. If I'm not seeing something in the way of tools, is the player going to be worthless?

example: http://brokenbat.org/player/217786

Updated Thursday, February 6 2020 @ 2:55:28 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Range, Arm, and Speed don't really change (except a tiny bit through scout sharping). Everything else improves with Training and Experience. There is fuzziness in the ratings, and the scout report. So a "Good Potential" player could be better than a 'Very Good Potential" player, or worse than an "Above Average Potential" player. A lot comes down to the build. A lot comes down to tendencies and performance. If a guy has a 2.0 WHIP in the minors, don't expect him to suddenly start pitching well in the majors. The guy you linked has pretty decent stats so far.

Build it important to consider for the player's position. For that you want to look at current ratings and projected ratings. You can project his growth by looking at the scout ratings, and their current growth on the Development Graph. Its worth noting that some ratings (like Change of Speed) never have a scouting report tied to them.

This post has a moderately accurate break down of what ranges you can expect your players to reach with different scouting reports. But players vary, there are edge cases, and some player will fall short or exceed their expected abilities (either for real or because they are over-rated).
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Other useful posts here.

Although drafting has changed a bit, so you should ignore any old drafting advice threads.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
a. Is it reliable?
Fairly. See above.

b. Does it change as players train up?
No

C. If I'm not seeing something in the way of tools, is the player going to be worthless?
Not necessarily, but don't expect Velocity or Movement to get very high.
rlawrence

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I find myself wanting to value the 'potential' stat as I look at young players (all things being equal, why wouldn't I want a player with a higher number here?)

Is the 'potential' stat as fuzzy as the rest? Ie, an 11 potential guy could actually be somewhere between 9-13?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It is fuzzy. It has value, but not in a vacumm. There are POT 14 who have the "Will never be a decent hitter" scouting tag. Those guys will never be useful regardless of their POT. Its more important to consider their build and their position. Do they have the tools to play, can they hit the ball. As they build up stats in the minors you will get a better idea how good they are.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This guy is a good example of a highly over-rated player who doesn't play to the SI ratings shown. Always hard to cut a POT 15, especially when he looks good on paper. Jaybird also happens to be a good defensive catcher, which is the main thing that keeps him from getting cut.

Previous Page | Show All |