Help

Forum >> Help >> You don't need a second team, help me with mine better.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
miszapatos

Manteca Cerdos
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi,
I'm playing in this fantastic game for 3 months, but I think I still don't understand who it works.
Could someone of you be my mentor and help me to understand what I'm not doing well.
It's very frustrating for me to have 4 bots and a human who doesn't connect in my league and not be able to beat them.
What am I doing wrong? Do I have major errors on my team?
dlwarren1

Saginaw Crusaders
VI.23

Broken Bat Baseball
payroll looks pretty high
dlwarren1

Saginaw Crusaders
VI.23

Broken Bat Baseball
I would look at the League Statistics by team screen to see where you rank in categories and make changes accordingly, especially if you can save payroll
dlwarren1

Saginaw Crusaders
VI.23

Broken Bat Baseball
I noticed your pitching # of games is way higher than everyone else. That indicates the starters are not going very long.
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
A couple of things. Someone noted about your starters not going long and making it worse is outside your closer your bullpen has been bad. You may want to at least have your best starter or two stay in games longer. Your team is way too old for the league level you are in. Heck, you even have a lot of guys over 30 in AAA and a few have pretty considerable wages.

You should consider cutting some of those older high salary guys and open up some spaces to promote guys out of the minors that belong on your major league roster. Get at bats/innings pitched for your younger talent. Add a bunch of younger talent from the free agent pool.At the level you are at all you are going to do is bleed cash and have no staying power if you don't develop some younger players.

I think there is a balance between youth and veterans but your team is very old for your league level.
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
You probably should have kept your round 2 draftee around too. I get he was an 11 pot but his hitting scout looked good and you would have been better keeping him over a minor league player over 30.
miszapatos

Manteca Cerdos
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks a lot for your answers, they are very appreciated and will help me to get a good team in the long term, but what should I do to win games in my league? What am I doing wrong?

The main reason why I keep old players in the minors is because I didn't quite understand the game. For example, last season my best player was Santa Cruz, in this season he can't hit the ball with the bat, what should I do with him, throw it away or will he be able to redo his game? If I really knew that I wasn't going to play well again, I would throw it straight and give a young player a chance, but it's really hard to understand how the game works.
I have left those players in the squad in case I have to upload them to the first team by removing those that are not going to continue in the coming weeks. But I don't know if I'm really doing well. Will Santa Cruz come back to bat well?

Updated Monday, February 3 2020 @ 10:31:12 am PST
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Remember that there haven't been enough games this season to draw any conclusions. It's a long season and your players will have slumps and hot periods. Your veterans have been around long enough where you can probably judge more by their career numbers over a dozen games this season. With that said there is much more to this game then just trying to win a game today. You need to develop players and you need to have funds to pay good players in their prime. I'm afraid that you are trying to win now too much and you are going to leave your younger players under developed and you won't have any cash remaining as your team starts to climb. There is no logical reason for a level 6 team to have 4 players over 30 years old (2 of which are getting paid over a mil per season) in the minors. Frankly, if it were me I would just start lopping the oldest guys to cut wages and get younger guys playing time. I don't know that I would keep anyone over 30 years old. That said you need to evaluate your young guys too. You have guys in the minors saying will never be a decent hitter. Get rid of them. To move forward you might take a step back but this team needs developed talented young players.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
brentswagger is absolutely correct. Not enough games to judge. I wouldn't be surprised if Cruz takes a step back from last year, but I would still expect him to hit at least .290 by the end of the season.
Eric83

Brentwood Bearcats
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with brentswagger and a lot of the other advice here. I'd recommend taking a long-view in this game to develop your team and set yourself up for continued success, rather than prioritizing winning right away with the team you started with.

In my first season I pushed hard to promote out of League VI and did, but my team was in terrible shape for League V and I immediately demoted back down. It took awhile to get back because my youth was so undeveloped.

Having that experience, if this was my team, this is what I'd do:
-Cut any player over 30, especially if they have a high salary or aren't starter quality. Unless he's an absolute stud, these type of players aren't that hard to find on the waiver wire later if you need to push yourself over the top.
-Promote or cut any player over 25 from the minors
-Stay aggressive on the waiver wire. Put claims on anyone remotely interesting under 25 years old. Most of these players won't be that good, but if you do it enough you'll find players who develop fast and can become keepers to help supplement your draft picks in the future. (Example from my team, I picked him up as a 25yo 3-claim waiver add. He did horrible for 2 seasons but developed well and he's still on my team at 34yo playing in League IV. Nothing spectacular, but these type of players can help fill out a team, especially early on)
-Possibly prioritize the "range" skill a little more on your team? It's probably debatable about how useful it is, but yours seems a little low on average, especially in the outfield. Higher range across the team might help you get more success out of your pitching and defense overall.

Previous Page | Show All |