Help

Forum >> Help >> The player advice megathread   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a similar issue as lostraven, except I tend to collect SS. I picked up Hubbard at the ridiculously low cost of 6 claims. Now I need to figure out my SS situation...

SS/CF Ted Scanlon (28) - A switch hitter who (normally) hits better against righties. Coming into the season I expected him to be my SS for several more seasons at least, but his OPS dropped from .702 to .300 this season... He might not make it to the end of the year. But he is also the only fully trained (reliable) SS on my roster.

SS/C Nate Brady (26) - Right handed POT 14, Brady had inconsistent performance in the minors and continues to do so in the majors. Will likely stick for a while, but if Scanlon wasn't so horrible this year Brady likely wouldn't get many innings.

SS/c Bruce Hamel (22) - Right handed POT 15 similar to Brady. Better fielding, but worse range (and arm). Also not super impressive in the minors. Will get extra SS training in the minors due to his age, so he might be better than Brady at least when he hits the majors.

SS/C Ken Foxx (25) - Switch hitting POT 13. Like Brady and Hamel, Foxx is a converted C. None of these three are really good Catchers, but Foxx is also questionable as a SS given his low (15) range. Mostly brought in as a backup option in case Hamel or Brady failed, Foxx is the only guy who has shown promise against right handed pitchers. Might regret it if I drop him...

SS/3B Arnie Hubbard (24) - Right handed POT 13. Similar to Hamel defensively, meaning he has more fielding and less range (and arm) than Brady.

Hamel, Hubbard, and Foxx will all be ready for the show next season. I certainly can't carry 5 SS. I already have two POT 15 3B, and I will be promoting another backup Catcher. Scanlon is the only one whose secondary position might be useful, but not if he is still hitting .100.

Updated Sunday, August 2 2020 @ 5:30:44 pm PDT
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd cut Scanlon and Brady and bring up Hubbard or Foxx. Hamel could possibly replace either Hubbard or Foxx later.
FreddyThe2nd

Tombstone Pistoleros
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Scanlon is a .980 fielder (just a bad first half of one year at the plate..no concern)

Hubbard needs to play but could still fit in as a back up. BUT...

Hamel has to be ahead of Hubbard right??

Brady...nope!

Fox absolutely not.

As far as SS goes:

I keep Scanlon and Hamel.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Worth pointing out that Brady hit better in the minors than both Hubbard and Hamel, and has more Range, and is currently a more solid defender. He has a lot more SS experience than Hamel, and is probably pretty close to Hubbard. But Hubbard hasn't played better despite having more SS experience from the start, so I suspect Brady is actually a better natural fielder.

Hamel looks to be the worst defender of the mix between Hamel, Brady, and Hubbard. 16 range is a bit on the low side. Especially compared to Brady's 18.

Scanlon is certainly the best defender right now, but he is fully trained. The others are still learning how to play the position. I expect Brady will be fielding .980 when he is fully trained (and he is getting the innings this year since Scanlon sucks.

Between amateurs and minor leagues, Hubbard has actually fielded very poorly despite being fully trained at one point.

So Scanlon is the best defense now. Brady is probably the best defense later. Hamel has a long ways to go, but should have a good glove (but low range). Hubbard looks good on paper but hasn't been impressive in the field.

Plus Hamel and Hubbard are both useless against righties. Brady is actually better than I had remembered. So if I keep him I probably don't need Foxx.

I'm currently leaning towards cutting Foxx and Scanlon. Both my switch hitters... Depends on how Brady looks at the end of the season, and if I think I can trust him against righties.

I don't mind keeping three. One possibility is that I leave Hamel down for extra time to try and get SS experience, and just hang onto Scanlon until I am ready to bring Hamel up. Its not like I'm missing Hamel's bat, and without experience he is just a liability on both sides of the ball. Foxx definitely seems like odd man out (despite being the only other switch hitter after Scanlon).

Updated Sunday, August 2 2020 @ 8:40:30 pm PDT
FreddyThe2nd

Tombstone Pistoleros
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Scanlon is certainly the best defender right now, but he is fully trained. The others are still learning how to play the position. I expect Brady will be fielding .980 when he is fully trained (and he is getting the innings this year since Scanlon sucks.

My reasoning is why give all those innings to Brady when in the end he just ends up at the level of Scanlon? Unless you see him as the long term solution. By then you may have found a more permanent starter anyway.
Also Brady is 26 (and a half) already and I'd be surprised if he makes it to 14 fielding. He will not even be a 3.0 SS until he starts for a season and a half. His OBP is low and he doesn't seem willing to steal bases. (Sorry Mr.Brady, I am such a hater!! hahaha )
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Scanlon only has 12 Fielding; 14 would be a huge improvement in that regard, but even 12 should get him around the .980 mark.

Brady doesn't steal a ton, but he does steal. Just as much as Hamel (and more than Hubbard). Brady had a .733 OPS in the minors, which is better than both Hamel (.724) and Hubbard (.701). No reason to think either of those guys will hit better in the majors. Biggest issue is that both Hamel and Hubbard are useless against righties. So really Brady looks like the best defender, and possibly the best vRHP in the near future (once Scanlon and Foxx are out of the picture).

Brady is only getting innings because Scanlon has been useless. But now that he is getting time, he is actually get a lot of SS experience. So the question will be, is it worth giving innings to a pair of SS who can't hit against righties and are inferior defensively...

If I think Scanlon is sticking around for the long term, then I could drop Brady (only 2 years difference in age), but right now I have serious doubts about Scanlon in the long term. I suspect Brady has more upside.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I've got a bit of a logjam at LF at the moment in AAA and I'm not sure who to keep.

Guajardo is currently ready for the majors, but I won't bring him up due to having Garrido and Toledo right now in the majors and a low SI. He's not really playing like his scouting report says (might be because of lower SI) and his OBP numbers aren't really good.

Fabbri is one year younger than Guajardo and has a higher SI. He might be a better defensive player due to higher range. Fabbri is performing better and OBP numbers look better as well.

I'm not sure if I should take speed over slugging with the possibility of low OBP numbers.

hardhat

Oceanview Woods Grizzlies
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I like Fabbri a little more, because 17 range is valuable and he's going to have good PD so he should be able to get on base.

Guajardo's value is his prolific slugging, but his GB:FB ratio is 1.6 so far. So he could get to 18 Power and still only be hitting 20 HR per year (I have a guy like this on my team). Meanwhile, his PD is awful so he will really need to hit for average.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Don't believe the lying AI, Guajardo isn't ready for the majors yet. He needs at least one more year. If you give him the time he needs, his SLG might start to look a little better.

I agree with Hardhat though, I think Fabbri might end up giving you a better OPS just because his OBP is going to be so much better. He doesn't steal a lot, but he is going to use that speed for extra base hits. Another thing that will bump up his OPS. I don't know what your other guys look like, but Fabbri would be a CF on my team.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Guajardo is a cut for me. You can dream on the scouting report but that Plate Discipline is going to let you down. Currie is probably your upside, if you want that.

Previous Page | Show All |