Help

Forum >> Help >> Where do i even start with this team?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Not really.
In this game, just like as in RL baseball, the outcome of a single game means nothing.
You have to look at long term trends.
Half a season worth of games may not be enough to tell who's good, who's not.

Starting from the very bottom, you should look at next season anyway.
You can go young, or play 30yo+
Two different strategies, both of which have merits.

For now, just save money. There's no reward in winning games right now
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The one caveat to saving money would be looking to the future. If you can claim some quality 25 year old (or younger) guys on waivers, I would shell out the cash for them.

Of course it depends on how much of a bank you have. If you are down under 10 mil, you should probably just focus 100% on saving money. If you are up over 20 mil you probably have some room to play.

spenaat

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If i'm looking at the balance right, i'm sitting at a whoppin' 71,999,975.00 probably-dollars. I think i'll be focusing on shaving a few years off the old roster, and doing some FA/waiver work in the 0.50mil player markets.

Also just as a personal thing, i'd like to atleast one series win against -anyone- in this mostly-bot league. Just to have something going when the next season starts, you know. Starting the next spring already running and all that
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
A word of warning - you'll start to see players with greyed out waiver buttons.

Waivers shut down for the season after the Cup final. (Last waiver claims Monday evening update; can sign free agents until the first game on Tuesday).

It's closed for ~ 3 weeks.

Not sure if anyone gave you this advice - but perhaps you should select a team in a less dire talent situation, and ask Admin if you could have the Rome name in the off-season.
spenaat

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the heads up about the waivers.

As far as restarting goes, i'm actually down with playing these guys. I get to fiddle around in a very non risky way with the players, get a (probably terrible) core of players i actually choose, and when the off-season hits relocate and rebrand completely for the upcoming season.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Good positive mindset. :)

You are probably getting the worst of the new player experience. Weak team, hands tied for a while. Don't let that discourage you.

Good luck!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It should be a very fun rebuild :) I'm a bit jealous, but agree you are starting in a hole. The good thing is that you have plenty of funds, so you shouldn't need to worry about money, just focus on young talent you can build around, and don't get discouraged if it takes 5-6 seasons to build a winner.
spenaat

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Giving this old thread the good ol' bumperoo instead of starting a new one:

Now that my first full season is in full swing, what exactly should i be looking for performance-wise?

The DIFF is atrocious already, but how can i see if it's because of bad pitching, bad batting or... uhhh... bad fielding i guess?

Are my starting 4 pitchers just suffering from bad luck in the early games, since i genuinely can't understand why they are all hovering just below or above 6 ERA?
I get everyone has 1 bad-ish stat in there, but good lord is the pitching performance a cruel mistress.

Apart from 3~ bad eggs in my lineup, the batters are on or above 0.3 OBP, with Venturi and Negri going past 0.4. Why doesn't this good base running translate to runs?

Again, thanks a bunch for already helping me late last season with all the more or less stupid questions. I feel like i'm starting to "get" a few bits and pieces about the game here and there, but this'll be a loooooong and number crunchy road ahead.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
It's fairly common for managers to come in here with pitching problems when what they really have is a defence problem.

Range is one of the stronger skills in the game. It's important to have up-the-middle players with good (15+) range. Which takes me to your SS. He's ... not good. Replacing him with a better glove might be enough to see a difference.

Some of your starters have lowish control. They can be quite effective, but are by nature more inconsistent than guys with more command. I think Tanaka is a really nice guy to have - he has a pretty consistent track record. Can serve as a bellwether for how your defence is doing.

As general advice I encourage new managers to think through the different positions and try to determine skill thresholds for each (ie., my SS should have 15+ range and 14+ fielding). Find players that can play their position. Then gradually replace them with guys that can play the position but offer more offence.
spenaat

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the pointers.
Hit the waivers for some decent control pitchers, and switched to the backup SS with a bit less "oompf" at bat, but 13 fld 13 rng 16 arm. Let's see if that'll get a couple more Ws in the next few series

Previous Page | Show All |