Help

Forum >> Help >> Who Should I Cut?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
geigerted

Queens Park Rangers
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Apologies for another team review thread, but my team is bad and getting worse. Obviously its time to wave the white flag this year and think of the future. So, my questions are: (a) who should I get rid of and (b) what should I be looking for in replacements?

Thanks in advance (oh, and please be candid, I know darn well that my team is bad and that I don't know what I'm doing, so a negative review won't come as a shock).
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not going to get too detailed because ultimately you have to do some of the work yourself. Tons of messages here on the forum. Also recommend looking at teams in the upper echelons to get an idea of how they are winning games.

That said, looking at your lineups, I see you fall into a trap that many new players do: the assumption that 13 POT and up are essentially "can't miss" prospects. I see this in your big league lineups and in your minor league system. Specifically, I see a lot of bats in your lineup that do not have a hitting-related scouting comment. Broadly speaking, a majority of bats that do not have a hitting remark in their scouting report simply won't hit for average. Examples in your vs. R lineup include Yamazaki, Sandoval, Crews, Stokes, and Kirkpatrick. The fact that four of those five names appear in the 1–5 slot of your lineup is even more worrisome. Granted, that's not exactly killing you; you don't have the worst AVE in the league. But you absolutely could be doing better with those offensive skills.

As I said, this also carries over to your minors. I see three or four such 13 POT bats with no hitting comment and not-so-flattering defensive builds in your minors that are somewhat questionable. Yes, some of those may work out OK at LLVI, but if you're planning on getting out of VI and into the higher levels, those kind of bats will only get you so far. As I told someone else recently, realize there are exceptions, most notably at shortstop, which is tough to find elite defensive builds where the player can also hit.

As for the big league pitching, you have some pitchers with low Control or low Movement that are problematic, but the more noticeable theme is that it looks like your defense is costing you some games. (Fielding Independent Pitching or FIP is lower than the ERA in most cases). I don't look at it very often, but I notice that your pitchers' error rate is the worst in the league, which is funky. Other things stand out such as low CS% compared to the rest of the league; a 10-arm catcher in Yamazaki doesn't help. Your SS has no Arm and only average Fielding; OK no-power-no-speed bat, but he's not a SS. Your OF Range is non-existent (all your OFers have 11 or lower Range).

You have some retooling to do, on the big league roster and in the minors. I could say more, but I suggest you take some time to dig through similar posts here on the forum. And maybe someone else will add more. Good luck!

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Definitely don't cut Saenez though. He is a good player. Better as a 2B, but really the best you have at SS for right now.

Look here for some guidelines on getting the right guys in the right positions, and train your minor league guys up in the positions you need and they can play.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I was going to post the other day, but got sidetracked. Was going to say that you had some decent assets, but they could be allocated a little better.

In the meantime, you figured much of what I was going to say for yourself. :) Webber to CF. Cruz to RF. Saenz to 2B. I would still look to move Wyrzyk to 1B and slot a guy with a little more mobility in LF, but i think you’ve made nice adjustments.

Booth should help at SS. You probably realize he’s not a long term solution due to his poor offence, but a good stop gap until you find someone with similar defence and a better bat.

In general I’d encourage you to give hitting skill a little more priority in your acquisitions (proper defense for position first tho). You have a number of guys with lowish hitting. They can have good seasons in the low divisions, but will struggle more as the team starts to climb.
geigerted

Queens Park Rangers
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks everyone. This is very helpful- retooling's going to take some time but, as Seca noted, I've taken the first steps (and, yes, Booth is just intended to be a very short-term stop-gap at SS).

Previous Page | Show All |