Help

Forum >> Help >> New team / semi-newb questions   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
punkskamonkey

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey all,

I have signed up to and played BB a bit in the past so I'm not a complete newbie here. I've read around a fair bit and think I mostly have an idea what I'm doing, but I've got a few specific questions that I don't have the experience to answer:

1/ How good is my current manager?
20 offence, 8 def, 7 pitching...17 PlyD, 10 FD, 10 PitD

2/ How wasted are the outstanding/amazing potentials on players without the range to play the key 2B/3B/SS positions? Where is your cutoff?
Related:
- I've got a 14 field, 11 range, 19 arm "amazing" on his way to becoming a 3rd baseman already, but is that range just going to be too low?
- Also have a 13/13/12 "outstanding" SS/3B in AAAs ready to come up, but he's just going to be a bit average really isn't he?
- Is there any use for an "outstanding" 18 arm player with only 9 range? Overqualified catcher the only/best option?

3 - I'm not really a baseball fan in real life, so finding relevance in the statistics is tough. I'm just not sure which I can look at to get a quick overview of if a player is doing well. Any tips? (this one I can mostly google really but...)

ERA I've always used at #1 for pitchers and AVE for batters, but am I off? Is it not that simple? If correct, what are the #2 and #3 things you like to look at?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
My team seems pretty decent in places, but with work to do in others (it'd be boring if there wasn't eh?) Just gotta work out which/how many oldies to cut initially I think...
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
1/ How good is my current manager?
20 offence, 8 def, 7 pitching...17 PlyD, 10 FD, 10 PitD

That's a matter of opinion. He is amazing with Hitters. Mediocre for defense and pitching. Looks like a good manager to me personally (opinion).

2/ How wasted are the outstanding/amazing potentials on players without the range to play the key 2B/3B/SS positions? Where is your cutoff?
Related:
- I've got a 14 field, 11 range, 19 arm "amazing" on his way to becoming a 3rd baseman already, but is that range just going to be too low?

Matter of opinion again, but I would be happy with that at 3B. 3B benefit from range, but they require so many skills, something has to give. I'd consider 11 solid range for a guy with good fielding and a cannon for an arm.

- Also have a 13/13/12 "outstanding" SS/3B in AAAs ready to come up, but he's just going to be a bit average really isn't he?
A bit low for SS/2B. Would be better as an OF in my opinion. But not every guy can be perfect, so it depends on your needs. Maybe passable as a backup if he is a really good hitter.

- Is there any use for an "outstanding" 18 arm player with only 9 range? Overqualified catcher the only/best option?
I would still be happy with 9 range at 3B. Depends on fielding. Low fielding would put him at Catcher. High fielding at 3B. Lots of catchers have more range than that, so it wouldn't concern me. Outstanding in the field means he still has some room to grow; Olsen would likely make a very good 3B (defensively).

3 - I'm not really a baseball fan in real life, so finding relevance in the statistics is tough. I'm just not sure which I can look at to get a quick overview of if a player is doing well. Any tips? (this one I can mostly google really but...)
This one is definitely opinion. For pitchers I like to look at B/IP, H/IP, K/IP, HR/IP, and GB/FB. For hitters I focus on OBP, OPS, and GB/FB (build dependent). Splits are very useful to see how well a guy does versus lefties or righties. SB, CS% and Fielding Percentage.

ERA I've always used at #1 for pitchers and AVE for batters, but am I off? Is it not that simple? If correct, what are the #2 and #3 things you like to look at?
ERA is a decent one stop measure. A lot of folks prefer FIP because its supposed to be less dependent on fielding results. Others like WHIP. I prefer to look at the base stats per inning. Just don't ignore the GB/FB as it combos with HR/9. Personally I think HR/9 is one of the most important things to look at. And H/9 can be a fantastic indicator.

I would say OBP is superior to AVE, because it factors in Walks. It tells you how often they get on base. Of course extra bases are also important, which is why I usually weight OPS most highly for hitting. Still want to consider things like SB though as those are not factored into either of those calculations.

Updated Friday, August 10 2018 @ 3:54:07 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |