Help

Forum >> Help >> Newbie - Intro and Fielding Question   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Jaybrams

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey-o, just inherited the Mesquite Mustangs based out of Mesquite Tx and promptly renamed to Stallions because I'm from Mesquite, and graduated from North Mesquite, where our Mascot was the Stallions... so it was a no-brainer of course!

It looks like i took over a pretty good majors squad (for my division), with a pretty thin minor league, so that will be one of my first orders of business. Anyway, on to my question...

Can anyone quantify how important is the Position Experience when setting my defense in the majors?

For instance, I have an 8/14/8 veteran. In my newb experience (correct me if wrong), I'd say he's a LF. But his Uppercase Exp is SS, where he seems like he'd be trash. So, how much should his SS Experience influence me from keeping him out of LF?

I'm using him as an example to illustrate the question, but i'm really interested in thinking / talking through the cost-benefit of playing someone out of Exp POS, especially older players who will likely not benefit from gaining much new pos experience before i move on...

Thanks! Looking forward to digging in all around.

Updated Friday, April 6 2018 @ 8:03:21 pm PDT
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Welcome Jay. You took over the team that is leading the division I’m in (and absolutely running away with it, so congrats on that!) :)

To your question, the positional drop downs in the minors are for setting the positions you want that player to train at... you WANT to set players to positions that they don’t have experience in, and that you think they would be better suited for. Over their time in the minors they will learn the position you set them to so that when they are major league ready they hopefully have competency or expertise at that position.

So, change them as you see fit! That’s the whole idea!

Good luck w the new team!

Updated Friday, April 6 2018 @ 8:18:54 pm PDT
ephenssta

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
While I'm sure it's not ideal, I doubt moving a SS guy to LF in the majors would hurt you a lot less than trying to move a LF guy to SS.

I wouldn't worry too much about moving guys to the outfield to play, but I would definitely try to avoid playing guys out of position in the infield, especially the middle infield positions, unless it's a game that doesn't really matter (ie spring training, or cup if you don't care about the cup).

That's my personal take, someone else is free to correct me if I'm horribly wrong.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
No, you are right, moving guys to the outfield isn't that horrible. I moved a 2B to RF a few years ago and he did just fine.
Jaybrams

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks guys...

So, four guys were "out of position" for the full 10 games this weekend. The first game, we committed 4 errors... :) The other 9 games weren't nearly that bad. But then again, we're already the worst fielding team in my division, so the guys just suck at the glove anyway.

My main issue was the only SS available is an 8/14/8 guy (and his offense is horrid) with a .965 fielding%.

The guys that replaced him in those 10 games came in at a .946 clip during those 10 games, he was .966 in his natural position.

I think i can tweak a little more and get most of the guys back to their natural position and just have one person out of position, unfortunately at the most important infield position, where i'm stuck with bad offense + bad defense (original guy) or good offense + slightly worse defense.

At the end of the day, even though i inherited a first place team, the BOT released a few of the good players before i took over, and as i'm still learning the game i'm not going to be angry if i do not promote. So i think i'll keep playing with different things 10-20 games at a time to see how things play out.

One full weekend in and i'm really enjoying this place.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm more than happy to play guys out of position to get a long term gain - if the guy you're talking about is Barkley however, I'd cut him loose and see what you can get in Free agency - he's 33 already and doesn't have any elite skills.

You have a decent core but are really lacking in defense, playing Soria at SS is a great move, I did the safe with Keefe (he had never played at ss but I threw him straight in there)

2B is the one spot you probably need to give immediate attention to get someone with a bit of range in there.

Good luck!
Jaybrams

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yup, Barkley is it.

Soria's natural position is 3b where i'm playing Serrano a C with basically same fielding line as Soria. Serrano played 5 at 2b and 5 at 3b during the same time and was pretty awful in both cases.

I dont know if it was the previous owner or because the Bot mgmt cut a few guys, but from a defensive perspective, this team is a mess. Makes for a fun challenge, though.
Horse

Portland Roadrunners
V.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Frantz isn't the worst potential 2B out there actually - he'll never be a super star, but once he learns the position he'll be ok there.

Previous Page | Show All |