Help

Forum >> Help >> First Base question.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
How important is Arm Strength for my 1st Baseman? I'm assuming it helps when turning a double play? Yes...no? Thank you!
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Imo..not very important at all.

I think most here will agree.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It might help on a 1-3-6 or a 4-3-6, but I don't think those are common enough to warrant having a lot of arm strength at 1B. I think its probably more valuable at other positions.
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball

It might help on a 1-3-6 or a 4-3-6, but I don't think those are common enough to warrant having a lot of arm strength at 1B. I think its probably more valuable at other positions.

(Obi wan waves a hand and says) These are not the double plays you are looking for.

1B arm might matter on the 3-6-3.
(but not worth looking for unless it's a total coin flip)

x-3-x .. removes the force play - much more rare occurrence.

Double play I'd like to see that I don't think I've seen here ... 1-2-3, 4-2-3, 5-2-3 ... the gun down at the plate with a throw to first.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Like I said, rare, but they do happen. A Pitcher fielding a ball on the first base side is much more likely to throw to 1B than to do a somersault and throw over to 2nd. In those situations, the first baseman is most definitely still going to get the out at 2nd.

Same situation can occur with a 2B fielding towards first. More rare, but in some situations it will happen. And the 1B will always make the throw to 2nd to try and get the tag out.

3-6-3 is probably more rare than 1-3-6.

EDIT: I think its funny that people think the throw to first from a left handed SS would require acrobatics, but have no issue with a 2B running towards 1st throwing at a 180 angle, LOL.

Updated Sunday, March 11 2018 @ 7:31:37 pm PDT
Skoormit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've often wondered that about LH SS as well. It seems like the only play for a SS that is easier for a RH is a groundball right to him.

The RH just has to catch, step, and throw, while the LH has to catch, pivot, and throw.
But on a ball right to the SS, the runner is usually going to be out by a few steps. The LH will have plenty of time to turn his body and make the throw.

On a play made to the SS's right, the RH has to backhand the ball, then plant and throw. The LH makes the catch on his glove side, and turns his body while planting. It doesn't take any extra time for the LH, and in fact his torso can already be moving in the desired direction (clockwise when viewed from above) as he makes the catch. The RH has to reverse his torso rotation to make the throw.

On a play made to the SS's left, the RH makes the catch on his glove side, but now he has the problem of turning his body to make the throw, whereas the LH makes the backhand play and can throw to first without turning his body at all.
And unlike the LH does on the play in the opposite direction, the RH usually can't just turn his body all the way around (counterclockwise) to avoid having to reverse his torso rotation.
Well, he *can* do that, but it is a harder play because he has further to turn. He has to turn about 180 degrees, because he starts with his throwing shoulder pointing towards first base. Whereas the LH making the equivalent play to his right only has to turn perhaps 135 degrees, since first base is not directly to his left as he makes the catch, but behind and to his left.

Furthermore, a LH SS has the advantage as the pivot on a double play ball (catch and throw, no body turn required), and no great disadvantage when starting a double play (he can backhand flip to the base just like a RH 2B does).

Full disclosure: I was a LH SS until high school. The HS coach wouldn't even let me take reps at SS during tryouts. So I played CF instead. I'm still a little grumpy about it.

Previous Page | Show All |