Help

Forum >> Help >> older player changing position   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not sure how it works in the minors either... Steve has said position training is more about the position assigned in the minors than what they actually play. But some of those older guys don't get into any games. If they are old and not playing games its unclear to me if they still gain position experience.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I think its a waste of time, mainly because I knew who you were talking about. I had Nava a couple of seasons back and thought the same thing, but I already had a young SS who played well enough defensively and I figured that guy's bat would never be as bad as Nava's 5 Hit & 7 BC (which won't get much better), so there was no point in continuing the experiment. The defensive tools are mouth-watering, but I just don't think the bat will make him anything more than a defensive replacement.
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the replies. Guess i'll eventually find out for certain about minor league position training.

@amalric7 - You're probably right, but I don't have any better options at this point. My current SS is this guy http://brokenbat.org/player/94258, almost a carbon copy. Due to his age (32) I desperately need a replacement in the pipeline. Nava actually has a little more power potentially. So if his slugging could push his OPS to even .650 it'd (sadly) be a slight upgrade over what I have now.

The only other SS i had in my system was Puente http://brokenbat.org/player/120464, who can cover 4 positions really well, but has no power & I'd want slightly more range for everyday at SS. There doesn't appear to be any free agent options either. As of 2 days ago the best potential SS I found was this scrub http://brokenbat.org/player/152666.

Updated Sunday, October 15 2017 @ 1:46:46 am PDT
repoman

Ithaca Indians
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
N/A

Updated Sunday, October 15 2017 @ 12:53:00 pm PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Seriously? I'd play Puente full-time!

A switch-hitter who might end up at a 12-13-13-6 batting line, which is fine for the #9 spot. Plus he could easily make 17-15-19 defense, and I personally really rate a combo like that with a killer Arm at SS - the Range is good enough, and that Arm will make plays all over the field. Its a no-brainer for me.
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@amalric7 - You know what, I will start Puente. I'd written him off long ago as nothing more than a super defensive utility player. Due to being so far behind in his offensive development. And hadn't really given him any consideration since then.

Quick question for anyone: A couple seasons ago I drafted a 17 range / 19 arm 3B. But he's capped at 7 fielding it seems. Is that enough for 3B? He's currently my backup C, but have an opening at 3B in a season or 2. I've got a ton of high range, high arm OF guys, so that's why he's not in the OF.

Updated Monday, October 23 2017 @ 3:00:42 pm PDT
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 In a word, no. You definitely want more than 7 fielding at the hot corner. He might be excusable as a backup, but he’s not going to be your everyday third baseman without probably setting league records in errors.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@shik good question, because I have this guy who is spending this season in AAA to try and reclaim his lost development and is line to challenge for the starting 3B job for me next season, and his Fielding seems to be stuck quite low, but his range and arm are sick.

So I'm going to give him a shot at 3B next season, unless his hitting doesn't develop this year.
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Was hoping that the range + arm boost to other positions might be worth it, but you're probably right. Him capping at 7 fielding seems pretty low for a guy lacking "poor fielder" or even "below average fielder" though. Was always banking on it being average.

@wickersty - Your guy at least has a little room to grow fielding-wise. 10 wouldn't be so bad.
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Nava just gained a lower case ss, which is nice. With the server move & weird spring training, did players even receive any position experience during the Spring? If not this must've been purely from the minor league position setting! Well either way it shows definitely that players too old to play can still get position experience in the minors.

With Puente putting up an abysmal .439 OPS in 200 at bats, Nava would sadly be a big offensive upgrade. 6 hitting and all...

Previous Page | Show All |