Help

Forum >> Help >> Why is my pitcher so bad?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
So I recently picked up a 19 claim pitcher off the wire. His name is Brett Fox. He was going to take over at closer for the struggling Floyd Kerr. However, his struggles have been ridiculous. I know it's a small sample size, but since the signing he has sucked.

Why?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Looks like he has historically given up a lot of HRs. I wouldn't use a guy like that as a closer. Last thing you want to do in a close game is give up a HR.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Agree with Rock. Very HR-prone. Best simple gauge is HR/9 (or HR/10 if you just want to eyeball it). Compare the IP and HR column. These days, with a few exceptions, I'm trying to keep pitchers regularly giving up less than a HR/10-ish. As Rock said, not particularly a closer, attested to by the lack of closing since 2027.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
So are there hidden traits (like HR prone) that we have to look at career numbers for?
Tabula Rasa

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a pitcher that might fit well in this topic

http://brokenbat.org/player/121586

The guy is in poor form the past few games. What do you guys do when your pitcher is in a bad form? Do you let him struggle until he regains his form or do you rest him for a couple of days?
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
HR/9 isn't really a hidden trait, its simply about interpreting the numbers in front of you. Fox has given up more than you would want, especially for a predominantly groundball pitcher (career GB/FB 1.20). Interesting that arguably his best season came in his one full season as a starter. He might just be on a cold streak, or its the curse of the small sample size, or it may be that he's falling off the cliff at age 34, which is not unusual.

Dudek is also on a cold streak and may be suffering from the small sample size. But he also gives up too many homers, and anytime you have a BB:K ratio of around 1:1 or worse, you're heading for danger (that 9 control is bad). I'd keep putting him out there but have his hook set for around 7, or give him a few outings in the LR slots.
Herp Derp

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Fox may have played in some small parks.

Tough to tell because dimensions can change from year to year... but Vineland's park is currently 320-355-420-355-325. They have had the same owner since Fox's first year in the league... so maybe you can assume some consistency on dimensions... maybe not.

He may have been better than his numbers suggest because of that... but maybe not. Maybe check his home/road splits to see.

On playing through a slump vs. benching, I think it would depend on the age of the slumping player and if he's taking time from a developing player or not.
I let this guy play through a rough start to the season because he can still improve a little. Well, also because I don't have anyone better and he's not my bullpen's biggest problem... but mostly because he can still improve and he's not really hurting any younger players.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Usually guys with high velocity but low movement and CoS are more susceptible to giving up HRs. Also, GB/FB percentage usually gives you a good indication. Fox has a pretty decent GB/FB and his build isn't typical for a guy who gives up a lot. Its possible that he has been playing in small parks, or its possible that some other hidden clutch factor is coming into play. There are some hidden attributes. The only one that the community knows for sure is base steal(maybe running?) aggressiveness. A guy with a high base stealing aggressiveness will attempt to steal much more often. That is why I put all my minor leaguers at ++ for base stealing. That way I can get a comparative measure of their aggressiveness before they come up to the majors. Other hidden traits are unknown. Injury proneness has been theorized, but there is no solid evidence for this. GB/FB tendencies used to be hidden, but Steven made the ratio available for us to see, so we can get good insight into GB/FB which means its not really hidden anymore, although I supposed the same can be said for base stealing aggressiveness since we can track steal attempts.

Updated Friday, August 18 2017 @ 5:12:43 pm PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
He's got a 4.31 career ERA...that's not terrible. In RL, he'd be pulling down $5M a year!

Steve
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
When looking at ERA, don't forget to look at the defense behind him. I picked up one free agent this season, and despite having had a rough outing with me, I think he is a Legends capable pitcher as I looked at the defense that played behind him and saw that any of my pitchers would have had similar stats playing in front of so little range and fielding in the positions that mattered most.

Previous Page | Show All |