Help

Forum >> Help >> Bleeding Money! - Payroll?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
mjreichard

New Orleans Knights
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
So, I am bleeding money! I think, think, it is likely because I have not played a home game yet so I have not made any real income. I don't think my payroll is too much...but then again I don't know what a safe range for payroll is. Any thoughts?
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Alfonso Aguilera might be a good place to trim some payroll. I can see the attraction, but at 33, even if he MVPs and leads you to a pennant, he'll start to drop off a cliff next season when you'd need his bat even more. Better to use that roster spot on a developing player and save the salary.

mjreichard

New Orleans Knights
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Ah, I know! He is one where I have a nostalgic spot for him...brought him in from the junk pile and he led us to a championship. It is a tough call for me...but I see exactly what you're saying too.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey there. You were in my league last season and had a bit of a rough go of it.

Something else that stands out to me: your stadium seating is wayyy too high. From the guide:

"Keep in mind, a larger ballpark means greater costs associated with running and maintaining the facility. For each seat, the ballpark expenses are $20 per economic update. That is offset by greater ticket income. Ticket prices are $15 per fan and are split evenly for cup and playoff games and kept by the home team for spring and league games."

You have your stadium set for 35,000. The guide does suggest a baseline for 35k for LLIV, which you were at last season, but you got relegated. But — and I have to emphasize this — that 35k for IV, 30k for V is only a rough starting point. You have to take into account how often your team is winning. You were in last place last season and saw an average of 26,000 seats filled. That means you were paying for 9k empty seats. This year is going to be even worse for you, and sadly it's too late to fix it.

Instead, you want to take a graduated approach each offseason, one that 1. considers your league level and 2. how "winning" your team is. This is my third season in LLIV, and I only this offseason bumped my stadium seating to 34,000 (from 32,000 the season before) because I had a winning record and anticipated being competitive again this year. Even then, I've only incrementally bumped those seats up by one to two thousand, seeing how often I max out my seating.

This is indeed a cautious approach; however, I've managed to bank $25 million so far by tailoring seating to LL and to yearly success (or lack thereof). I've only maxed out my seating twice in five home games so far this season, but I presume that even if I end up sitting at second place for a third season in a row, I should be pretty close to that number. If a major swing in my fortune takes place this season, I may adjust downward slightly on the seats.

Updated Friday, August 11 2017 @ 11:56:15 am PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I would only add one thing to what lostraven said... I only have a stadium that seats 44k and I'm in Legends with a fairly high fan mood and #8 ranking in the game. I don't sell it out every home game either. In other words, lost raven is right, you need to reduce capacity in the off-season.
mjreichard

New Orleans Knights
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh that is good to know! I inherited the seating and never thought to change it! Thanks!
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Just some general points on your roster. I can see why you're paying old guys big salaries (for LLV), when you don't have much coming up from AAA, but hopefully you'll balance that out in time. You've got some good hitters on your majors but some terrible fielders. Aguilera has a good bat but can't play C with that Arm - you need a good Arm to throw out base runners, and 8 is bad. Mathieu has a great arm but can't hit. Duran would be the better bet but as a lefty thrower he gets a penalty for playing C, which wouldn't matter too much if not for the fact his 13 Arm isn't great either. Skinner might actually be your best bet at C, makes too many errors at SS due to lack of fielding but has a good arm. Glenn's Range is wasted at 1B, he'd be better at 3B or even in the OF (eligibility doesn't matter too much there, and the same applies to Boswell). Daini is a cut, bat not good enough and fielding is wasted at 1B. Pena is a cut, terrible defence for 2B, same with Curry. Harkins is your best defender at 2B or SS but with his poor bat you'd be best having him at SS, where defence is more important. Ikeda was one of my draft picks, didn't have room for him and have been surprised at his success. From your pitchers I don't like Carpenter or Agustin.

Minors - You have some really good prospects, a bunch of poor guys, and others not playing their best positions. You also have some empty roster spots to fill: most teams caryy 49/50 players, allowing one space for a waiver claim or that week's draft pick. The more good prospects your have the better your chances of future success. Beckman, Dickson, Goddard, Taylor and Hughes are instant cuts. Glover would have been better at 2B or 3B but might be too late for that, he should be up at some point this season. Ramos should be learning 2B or 3B or perhaps even SS with that defensive build (not to mention his great bat). Sullivan is a 1B (average range and fielding). Castillo isn't a great prospect for a 13 POT and can't play C effectively with a 6 Arm. Beaumont is a cut, most of his remaining SI will be Power and Fielding, meaning his other stats will be terrible. Vargas is another guy who should be playing 2B, 3B or SS but will probably never hit, I'd cut. Lohman is a 1B, 6 Range is terrible in the OF. Martin might make a good defensive (ie. backup) 2B. Schmidt could make a decent starting C.
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Overall I don't think you are in too bad of shape in payroll. I'm in level V as well with a combined majors + minors payroll of about 40 million. I think that will be fairly close to a break even level. If you want to generate some profit you might want to shave it a bit but overall I think you aren't in too bad of shape from a total payroll standpoint.

Previous Page | Show All |