Help

Forum >> Help >> range and fielding opportunities   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Herp Derp

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've seen a comment or two about the aggregated range.

Speed isn't a factor at all?
Would two otherwise identical outfielders in the same lineup play the same in the field if one had 5 speed and the other had 20?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Range is basically the players' defensive speed. They are tied in the code (always within 8 points of each other), but speed plays no part in defense. Only range.

BTW, Steve has only ever confirmed that it is an aggregate. Common belief on the boards is that Range is a weighted aggregate (meaning your SS range probably counts for twice as much as your 3B range).

Updated Sunday, August 6 2017 @ 7:27:47 pm PDT
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
What do we think the weighted positions are? 2B, SS, CF?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Best guess is the positions that the manual says it is good to have range at... as for the actual weighting, that has been spit-balled before, but we have no real way to figure it out without Steve actually saying it, which he is not inclined to do.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I've seen a comment or two about the aggregated range.

Yes, at this time, ranges are all added together to produce a defensive score. Some position are more important than others. So having superior defensive range wouldn't necessarily give you tons of more fielding chances.

However, in the situation described above -- I think there could be other factors. Maybe the pitcher is becoming less effective as the game goes on etc. Different types of pitchers yield more ground balls too...

Steve
Herp Derp

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah. I'm not as sure that was happening as much as I thought. Even if it was, I doubt it would hold up over a decent length of time.

Just so I'm as clear as we can be here, arm could still be a factor in something like that, right?

Like, you'd maybe see more "X hits a single to second base" while playing a secondbaseman with a weak arm?
But, if the same guy had a cannon maybe he'd make a play on some of those?
joseph090

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have nothing about that. But I think speed is not the only factor in a game.
RDailey1948

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, at this time, ranges are all added together to produce a defensive score. Some position are more important than others. So having superior defensive range wouldn't necessarily give you tons of more fielding chances.

So, does this mean that high aggregate infield range increases OF chances as well? Likewise, high OF aggregate range increases IF chances too? Or are they, OF and IF, independant.

Please disregard poor IF range yielding more ground balls through to the OF and things such as pitcher variation in GB/FB.

Thanks

Updated Wednesday, August 16 2017 @ 9:40:18 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

at this time, ranges are all added together to produce a defensive score.

From this and prior posting from Steve, I am assuming it is a team aggregate. I don't believe the OF ranges are being aggregated separately from the infield ranges.
RDailey1948

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Rock777

That sure makes a difference!

Previous Page | Show All |