Help

Forum >> Help >> Extreme differences in Home vs Road Averages   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You are batting .251 on the road, so that is a little more than barely... I noticed your pitcher's ERA is ~.50 higher at home too. You seem to have a hitters park.

You have Astroturf for one. That yields more hits (for both sides). Other ballpark differences will have an impact as well.

EDIT: I'm not sure how much of a home field advantage there is other than the ability to play in a ballpark you have designed to your team strengths.

Updated Monday, June 19 2017 @ 9:36:02 am PDT
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
You and Durham are skewing the stats of the East division. You both have smaller parks and that produces more offense. You can see this in each club's home and away splits. The clubs with the larger parks have smaller home ERA's while you and Durham are the opposite.

Makes sense for Durham because he has invested heavily on offense. You have enough OF range that you could move the walls back 10 feet and still be good. Bring the numbers back around a little bit to the pitching side.

The best advice I got was to find a Legends club that looks most like yours and use them as a template for your own club. Those guys must be doing something right to be on top.

Huaraches25

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I dont see how changing my ballpark will help me win more games when my team clearly wins more at home than on the road. I checked the advanced stats and noticed I am only 19-25 on the roasd as opposed to 22-14 at home. You say my ERA is higher at home but will increasing the size of my ballpark really help my pitchers more than it will hurt ny batters?
Huaraches25

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Although since many of my power hitters are switch hitters or lefties (West, Eaton, Akita, Hopkins, Evans) perhaps I could push the left field wall back a bit especially since I have a bit more lefty pitchers than most but leave my right field wall as is?
Also how do you see road/gone ERAs? I only see those splits for average

Updated Tuesday, June 20 2017 @ 10:51:20 pm PDT

Updated Tuesday, June 20 2017 @ 10:55:54 pm PDT
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

perhaps I could push the left field wall back a bit especially since I have a bit more lefty pitchers than most but leave my right field wall as is?

You're thinking logically because that's the way the real world would work. I don't think that applies here. One season I made one side almost as small as possible and the other nearly as large as possible. Both sides of the plate had virtually the same homer rate at home as they did on the road. I think all that happens is the rate is changed by the dimensions, but it doesn't account for where the ball is hit (pulled, etc).

Using my example, let's assume a player has a 5% chance of hitting a homer. The short side of the park might increase that by 20%, but the long side decreases it by 20%, back to the 5%. I don't think it makes any difference which side of the plate you're hitting from. The calculation is simply based on the whole park.

In other words, I don't think you can get the results you're hoping for by making a deep left field for right-handed batters. It will hurt them and left-handed hitters equally.

Updated Wednesday, June 21 2017 @ 1:30:28 am PDT
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Sorry, I must be dense but I don't see the breakdown of home/road ERA. Batting average, yes, ERA,no. Can someone point me in the right direction, please?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You have to mouse over it.
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, I'll be.... Thanks, Rock. You really do learn something new every day.
Huaraches25

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Lol I did a whole post on how we should be able to see those mouse over stats on mobile but never got a response
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I found a way to do it on mobile:
- download the page on your device's memory ("save link" option)
- open the file with a text browser

There, among all the HTML gibberish, you'll find those hidden values

Not exactly mobile user - friendly :)

Previous Page | Show All |